Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experimental Hot Bed

Posted by nsypid 
Experimental Hot Bed
October 21, 2015 03:56PM
I am thinking of building a partially heated hot bed where we can heat only the parts of the glass that have plastic on top of it.

I am thinking of using cement resistor for this purpose. What do all of you think ? Might this work ?
Re: Experimental Hot Bed
October 21, 2015 04:25PM
Cement resistors generate heat over a small area. So you would need to use either a very large number of them, or use aluminium heat spreaders to spread the heat from each resistor out over the zone you want it to heat. You would also need to use borosilicate glass instead of float glass to avoid the risk of cracking when you only heat part of it, and you would need independent temperature control for each heated zone in order to get an even temperature.

Not worth the extra cost and complexity IMO, except perhaps if you have a very large heated bed. If you want to save energy, I think a better option would be to enclose the printer to keep most of the heat in, thereby providing a heated chamber as well - which is needed when doing large ABS prints anyway.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Experimental Hot Bed
October 22, 2015 02:00PM
Whilst I agree with most of what dc42 says, I wonder about "you would need independent temperature control for each heated zone in order to get an even temperature". It seems to me that having a single thermistor and assuming that the whole surface is evenly heated is exactly what most heat beds do. I don't see that having (say) 4 small pads instead of 1 large one will be significantly different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login