Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No communication between Motherboard V1.2 and Host software

Posted by louispyncket 
No communication between Motherboard V1.2 and Host software
September 09, 2011 11:31AM
Hi guys,

i tried to load the firmware v2.4 by replicatorG0025 on the motherboard an this was a succes. I wanted to test it with the Reprap software described on the Wiki page to see if i have communication between them, but since then i got stuck. I never get a response from the motherboard that it recieved the command? Somebody having an idea what's going wrong? The debug led and power led still light up when i plug in the usb cable. But the debug led is always blinking at a regular rythm. I'm using OS Windows7 64bit and the motherboard is adapted to the Reprap standard, capacitor and volt regulator are integrated on the power connector.

BR,

Louis
Re: No communication between Motherboard V1.2 and Host software
September 12, 2011 04:10PM
Did you check your pin numbering? Numbering starts at 0 not 1 (Pin 0, Pin 1... etc instead of Pin 1, Pin 2 ....) Is your power on USB or Ext?
Re: No communication between Motherboard V1.2 and Host software
September 13, 2011 11:59AM
AFAIK there are differences between gcodes from makerbot / replicatorg wiki and the ones of reprap gcode parser (reprap wiki). Compare g-codes in both pages, and you shall see that some things may not work. Maybe it should establish connection (not sure) and respond to M105 though, but in rest there are a few differences, i think enough to separate the things, in the sense that probably wont work together without some tweaking on either side. Bottom line i dont think the makerbot firmware will work with reprap host software, but again i might be wrong.

1) On one hand, if you do use makerbot firmware, you probably should tell replicatorg that it is actually a cupcake (not a reprap). Cupcake doesnt have the settings like steps/mm in firmware, i think its something like uploading them from replicatorg into mcu memory, from the config file (smth like that). Also i think i remember that the replicatorg communication with motherboard was ending in an error if i didnt had my extruder powered on - and refused to go further. And then the other senders probably wont work. I was able to get the machine as cupcake in replicatorg and to get it all working, but didnt liked how i had to change few other things, like the way thermistor settings works there (i like tables more coz i can tweak faster and better) and how the extruder stepper connection was suggested. What i did liked was that it seemed to work with a SD card i got from a digital photo-camera, but in practice it was painfully slow to upload files to it through its own connection. Something like additional 20% of equivalent print time was how long it took just to upload file, so maybe should of used the camera link to upload and then constantly switch the card. Havent tried tho. Other than that it should of worked allright, its just i ditched it thats all.

2) On the other hand, if you want to rather use reprap firmware or teacup for gen 3, I think there is a version of latest replicatorg which will work with these, if you tell its a reprap machine. Also pronterface, repsnapper, etc would most probably work allright.

I might be wrong about the above though, i havent really tried extensively all these options with my gen3, just this is my overall understanding. What i did actually use, for a time, was official firmware at about 9600 which seemed somehow safer because it got stuck from time to time mid builds. In repsnapper comm log was looking like a linenr error which never fixed itself and kept resending each line 3-4 times before ultimatelly getting stuck. Then it was a newer version of reprap firmware which, at 19200 and 57600 in spite of having constant linenr errors, it was able to fix itself and worked ok even on longest builds. I initially had it from an attachment somewhere on these forums and i would like to give credit to someone, but just cant re-locate the original spot, but i think it was from Mr. Jamesdanielv (hope i am not mistaking). I had embeded it here but i would rather recommend teacup at this point. As a latest change this is what i am currently trying, teacup for gen3, which seems to work nice, plus it had a acceleration that is usable by me. My initial sender was repsnapper and i liked how i could see the gcodes comms more clearly, but currently i prefer pronterface as a new flavor.

Imo if that board was never tested, just try upload some reprap firmware and check if it all works. Sort of even just to know that hardware is ok. Then decide either to go with it:
- either as a cupcake firmware +replicatorg as cupcake or
- teacup with almost anything (replicatorg as reprap, or repsnapper, or pronterface)
Even the skeinforge settings might differ a very little bwteen these cases. For example i think "cupcaked" ec22+stepper extruder needs rpmfiy for extruder moves as RPM instead of PWM.

About the generic reprap firmware, I wouldnt recommend official repository version for this electronics setup, coz as i personally didnt had good experiences with it and i ended up considering it most unstable of all, and currently very bloated. At least for Gen3 setup, no clue about rest of setups, probably works ok with ramps although i wouldnt use it even in such a case now. And other options as sprinter, tonokip, etc, are single mcu firmwares so i dont think they have support for extruder board and classic gen3 setup. To use one of those, it would require to ditch the EC22 entirelly, and only use MB1.2, to which one can add fairly easy 2 thermistor boards for extruder and bed, and 2 fets for their outputs, totally need 2 free adc pins and 2 generic ones. Its nice that MB1.2 does have all those headers around the mcu so at least it can be hacked easy in any pin. Well, i guess this would be the 3rd option. It would need new pins config definitions for these alternative firmwares, but at least can be done. Was a thought i had some time ago, but didnt ended up doing myself, and if you do that, by all means, pls add it on the wiki.

Forgot to say:
Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 12:12PM by NoobMan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login