Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino does not show my Sanguino board

Posted by scubi 
Arduino does not show my Sanguino board
March 22, 2015 11:59AM
Hi Guys
I have a Sanguinololu Baord ( Atmega1284p )controller and windows 7.

1. In the device manger its on com3 but shows it as USB serial Port( com3) but does not show it up as a sanguinololu board ??
2. I load Arduino 0023 and downloaded & copied Sanguino1284p-master to the Arduino folder under hardware, however when I run Arduino, Sanguino board does not reflect under Tools / board ?? The is no sanguino under the boards ??

what am I doing wrong that there no Sanguino board uner tools ?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 12:16PM by scubi.
Re: Arduino does not show my Sanguino board
March 22, 2015 02:55PM
Hi
I eventually got Arduino to see my Sanguino board but now when I try upload thr Firmwaer to the Sanguinololu board I get this error:

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Windows 7), Board: "Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz"

Third-party platform.txt does not define compiler.path. Please report this to the third-party hardware maintainer.

Error while uploading: missing 'recipe.cpp.o.pattern' configuration parameter

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Please could you help,

Thanks
March 23, 2015 07:22AM
Hi
Wow this hectic, 111 views and not one person can give some advice.
March 24, 2015 12:00AM
use ARDUINO 1.0.6

It doesnt come with support for the 1284p, you have to add it

by adding files from [code.google.com] Sanguino-0101r1.zip

If you are putting you own bootloader on the chip you will need to edit the boards.txt file and set the fuses you want as the default leaves the jtag enabled wich stops all endstops and x direction lines working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 12:01AM by Dust.
March 24, 2015 07:39AM
I did everything fine but here is the error message what the arduino compiler said:

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows XP), Board: "Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz"

In file included from /pins.h:38,
from /Conditionals.h:172,
from /Configuration_adv.h:476,
from /Configuration.h:729,
from /Marlin.h:22,
from BlinkM.cpp:5:
/pins_RAMPS_13.h:15:4: error: #error Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.

But I have this board.... What's the problem then? o.O
March 24, 2015 04:23PM
you have not set you board type in configuration .h

Presuming your using the latest marlin...
Line [github.com]

you need to set it to change it from BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB to BOARD_SANGUINOLOLU_12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 04:24PM by Dust.
September 13, 2015 04:45PM
I Used Arduino 1.0.1 and it workes fine.
[www.youtube.com]
Thats quite a good video to learn winking smiley
March 14, 2016 09:24PM
Hi, I have the same problem. How you make Arduino to see the Sanguino board on the menu? Zee, Simply copying the sanguino folder into the hardware folder does not work.
March 14, 2016 09:34PM
If your using a modern version of the arduino IDE, its all changed

see [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz]
March 14, 2016 09:37PM
Hi, Scubi, can you help me out?
March 14, 2016 09:49PM
Dust, thanks. So, how can i do it with my arduino v1.6.x. Complicated long story?
March 15, 2016 01:34AM
by reading [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz] as already said...
May 27, 2016 03:39AM
As far as I know you can only use arduino v1.01. If the Sanguino board is not shown under the boards menue you need the boards file under the hardware/arduino folder. If you look at it with a text editer you should see the Sanguino board.
May 27, 2016 09:20PM
Does anyone have a comprehensive set of instructions on how to burn the bootloader to the sanguino boards? There are lots of piecemeal comments but they only seem to work for a small subset of users. The instructions for adding the sangrino boards to the Arduino ISP do not work as is. The download is missing the platform.txt file which can be obtained from Github but you have to dig for the information. There is also an apparent incompatibility with the ld application that causes a compile failure. You have to extract the ld.exe from an earlier version of the Arduino IDE. Finally you can upload the program to your Uno. But to burn the boot loader, you need to change the board to the target board - sanguino in this case. The option does not appear in he Tools/board dropdown so you have to wonder how to accomplish this. So far I am stuck. I have not been able to find anything that details how to accomplish this. Searching through the forums answers have the file existing in any number of directories. I have put the sanguino directory as a subdirectory under every subdirectory under Program Files\Adruino| but the options never appear in the tools/boards dropdown.

I am running on Win XP SP3, Arduino IDE 1.6.9
Any help?
May 28, 2016 03:39AM
The instructions work fine... no idea what your doing..

I downloaded latest Arduino 1.6.9 windows.zip onto my old Windows Xp machine

Extracted the zip to the desktop

Ran the IDE, as expected no Sanguino files

Open up the menu File|Preferences

At the bottom is a field Additional Boards manager URLs:
Enter "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Lauszus/Sanguino/master/package_lauszus_sanguino_index.json"

Click OK

Open up the menu Tools|Board:|Boards manager...

This will open the manager. Scroll down till you see Sanguino
Click more info, this will reveal an install button.

Hit install.

Close the Board manager.

Sanguino is now in the list of boards at the bottom.

Select it and new menu item is now visable in the Tools menu. Processor
Now select the type of Processor 644p at 16mhz or 1284p at 16mhz are normal for Sanguino boards, though you can get 20mhz versions, for that you will need to edit the boards.txt file

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 03:44AM by Dust.
May 28, 2016 04:01AM
In regard to writing a bootloader

You need some sort of avr ISP, you look to be trying to use a uno

Firstly you need to turn your uno into a avr ISP

following the steps 1-4 here [www.arduino.cc]

The uno is now your avi ISP

next you need to wire it to the SL board, this is different depending on exactly what board your programming, but they are wired the same, you just need to find the correct pins (most have a 6 pin ISP header, and they are all on there)

[www.arduino.cc]
The led and resistors are not needed, they are just so you can so something is happening. The power and crystal will already be there on the board.

This graphic presumes a 644p or 1284p chip not in a board, so it adds in everything you need to run the bare chip.

In reality with the chip in a board all you need its the following
uno d10 to reset on SL
uno d11 to mosi on SL
uno d12 to miso on SL
uno d14 to sck SL
uno gnd to SL gnd

Both the boards still need power. I would power the uno via usb cable as you have to have that connected anyways for serial communications. I prefer a usb power bank for the SL, just to ensure no crazy power loops and no guess work as to which com port to use (as you can't see the SL com port)
This way you just get a nice chain, no loops. ie computer -> usb cable -> uno -> isp wires -> SL <- USB Power bank

Now do steps 6-8 from [www.arduino.cc]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 04:17AM by Dust.
May 29, 2016 12:02PM
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I have followed the steps and everything works up until the BurnBootloader command. At that point
the load fails with an Access Denied to the COM port that the Arduino is using. I have attached the error file from the upload. I have double
checked the wiring - I am using a ribbon cable to connect the 2 boards via the 6 pin ICSP connectors. I did use a 47uf capacitor between the Reset
and ground on the Arduino running as the ISP because I couldn't find 10uf one.
Is there a simple way to tell if the board/processor is bad. I just got it from China so that is a possibility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 02:46PM by graybeardtx.
Attachments:
open | download - Errord.txt (2.1 KB)
May 29, 2016 06:06PM
You say your getting a "Access Denied" but the error you show doesn't say that

Where are you seeing this?
May 29, 2016 07:06PM
Well as usual, going back to redo the command, I get different results. This time it apparently was able to communicate with the chip but unable to write the bootloader. The error log is attached. I notice that the output always seems to say the programmer used is stk500v1 rather than Arduino as ISP.
Don't know if that makes any difference.
Attachments:
open | download - error2.txt (3.6 KB)
May 29, 2016 09:44PM
stk500v1is the protocol that's fine.
May 29, 2016 09:56PM
Your going to have to drop to command line... The GUI isnt giving you enough control

From the logs you can see

C:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1284p -cstk500v1 -PCOM5 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

but its erroring out

This is just trying to set the fuses (hardware options on the cpu)

I find I have to add in some delays with the -B flag

Last time I tryed this I needed - B 8, but you may need to try a few numbers (its different for each pc)

eg C:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -B 8 -CC:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1284p -cstk500v1 -PCOM5 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

Once this succeeds you need to move on to the actual boot loader

which would be something like
C:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -B 8 -CC:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1284p -cstk500v1 -PCOM5 -b19200 -e -U flash:w:{your path}/ATmegaBOOT_1284P.hex
May 30, 2016 07:19AM
In the output it also says use the -F flag to over ride the check. Using this I got through that command OK. I have attached the output from the console.
Moving to the second command, I get the following: (I copied the hex file to the root directory to shorten the path)

C:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -B 8 -C"C:\Program
Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -patmega1284p -cstk
500v1 -PCOM5 -b19200 -e -Uflash:w:C:\ATmegaBOOT_1284P.hex
avrdude: invalid file format '\ATmegaBOOT_1284P.hex' in update specifier
avrdude: error parsing update operation 'flash:w:C:\ATmegaBOOT_1284P.hex'
Attachments:
open | download - Output.txt (12.1 KB)
May 30, 2016 07:53AM
I'm surprised that -F works, but it seems to verify and progress is progress

The issue with the boot loader is that path
you cant use a : in the path without quotes, it confused avrdude

Try

C:\Program Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -B 8 -C"C:\Program
Files\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -patmega1284p -cstk
500v1 -PCOM5 -b19200 -e -Uflash:w:"C:\ATmegaBOOT_1284P.hex"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 07:55AM by Dust.
May 30, 2016 10:30AM
Apparently it doesn't like anything in the path other than the file name. I copied the file to the bin directory where avrdude resides it ran this time again requiring the -F flag. The results are in the attachment. There is a verification error with a mismatch in output.

Just for grins, I tried to upload the blink sketch to the ATmega1284P and got interesting results. I have included them in Output3 attachment. It appears that the Uno I am using as the ISP is still working as an ISP (at least to me). I don't ever remember the output like this on my Uno when I uploaded programs.

So I tried it on my Uno and got the same output. Apparently I turned on some verbose mode that is persistent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 02:33PM by graybeardtx.
Attachments:
open | download - Output2.txt (4.5 KB)
open | download - Output3.txt (3.9 KB)
June 02, 2016 05:14PM
I was studying the output of the 2 commands and noticed the following output after trying to obtain the device signature in the first command:

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega1284P is 1E 97 05

It then notes the verification error and exits after checking t he fuses. So it is not really making any contact with the ATmega1284P is it?
June 03, 2016 05:59AM
This is as yet untested in a printer, but it appears to have worked.

Downloaded latest ArduinoIDE 1.69. In that version, under files/preferences you can set additional URLs to keep board information up to date.
I used [raw.githubusercontent.com] which meant I saw Sanguino as a board option in the IDE.
But I was unable to compile to the board, it failed to sync when I chose the Sanguino board and selected "ATMega1284 or 1284P (16Mhz).
I then modified the Boards.txt on line 78 to read "sanguino.menu.cpu.atmega1284p.upload.speed=57600" instead of 115200. This gave me sync with the board and I was able to upload Blink, but without any LED to blink this was pretty pointless. When I tried Marlin I received a "dunno what board this is" type error.
Then I tried the T3P3 Marlin fork.
I copied the T3P3 Sanguino folder across to C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\sanguino It would not work correctly in any of the folders above this path.
With the configuration.h modified to suit my printer (I hope) I was able to compile and upload was reported complete with no errors.
Unfortunately the printer it is about to go into has completely different connections, so I won't be able to confirm until I can rejig it.

Hope that helps though.
June 05, 2016 03:35PM
OK I tried that and no luck. If I use Nick Gammon's sketches I can read the information frrom the target board. But when I try to burn the bootloader using his sketch it doesn't work because he didn't update the board signatures and the ATmega1284P signature is not there so the program aborts before doing anything especially unlocking the memory for update. The board part numbers and bootloaders have been updated but they can't be loaded because the device signature is not updated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 03:35PM by graybeardtx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login