Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi 2.0 fuses and Marlin versions ?

Posted by mr.sneezy 
Melzi 2.0 fuses and Marlin versions ?
January 11, 2015 07:20PM
This is the Melzi 2.0 I have, seems to be a Heacent version (if that matters here).
[www.dx.com]
I have read conflicting info about fuses settings for this style board regarding if it has a 16Mhz resonator or a 16Mhz crystal.
I think it's a crystal on mine as the part is a miniature (0805 size perhaps) SMD metal can with what looks like about six pads.

A couple of questions.
Is anyone here using this board and know their fuse settings (crystal or resonator) ?
Are they using (successfully) the main stable branch of Marlin or found something more customised for this board ?

Martin
Re: Melzi 2.0 fuses and Marlin versions ?
January 12, 2015 05:10AM
Yours is definitely a 16mhz crystal

take a look at gen 7 arduino support [reprap.org]

Their boot loader is same cpu, with a crystal

From gen 7 boards.txt file
Gen7-1284P-16.bootloader.low_fuses=0xF7
Gen7-1284P-16.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDC
Gen7-1284P-16.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFC

But most likely your board already has fuses and bootloader installed. All you need to do is upload new firmware

just set your board type to Melzi in the configuration.h file of marlin and the standard firmware should all work

I would not recommend installing any other weird marlin variants. they generally don’t get maintained. Just use the normal marlin [github.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 05:21AM by Dust.
January 12, 2015 07:40AM
Hmm, my fuses are set to Low: D6, High: DA and E fuse to FD. A bit different to what you suggest it should be.

I have changed the bootloader, it seemed logical to me to put a known bootloader on the board, as I have no idea what it came with. It came I suspect with a Repetier FW on it as well.

Martin
PS. Thanks I'll stick with the main Marlin branch then.

Edit: Actually you headed off another nagging question I had, is the Melzi 2.0 a 'Gen7' board. I assume the original Melzi with the 644P was Gen7 as well....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 07:59AM by mr.sneezy.
January 13, 2015 03:03AM
the board definition basically define what pin are used for what

a gen 7 is not a melzi

use a fuse calculator like [eleccelerator.com] to see what is set.
January 13, 2015 07:31AM
I see (I think).
I seem to have misinterpreted this Wiki info here that I thought pointed to Gen7.
[www.geeetech.com]

It said it had some differences to the Sanguinololu.
I have been using Gen7 board setting in the Arduino IDE not Sanguinololu.

Thanks for the calculator link. I'm set to a resonator not crystal. Brownout is sort of set to a useless level too.
I'll change the fuses, thanks.
Martin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login