Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi Board pinout and SD Slot

Posted by Arakon 
Melzi Board pinout and SD Slot
November 09, 2014 05:14AM
I am using the Melzi board with a Mendel90, the one supplied with nopheads kit (looks like a crossover between Melzi 1 and 2).
Does anyone have a pinout of the connectors on the bottom right? Are they the same as on the Sanguino? They're unfortunately not labeled.
I want to add an extra SD slot to it (to position at the front for easier access), the ICSP port connections are obvious, but what about the CS pin? I'm guessing A1 would be the right one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 06:21AM by Arakon.
Re: Melzi Board pinout and SD Slot
November 13, 2014 08:25AM
No one?
November 14, 2014 12:04PM
Well I've never had a Melzi, but in the interest of answering your question, I compared the schematics of the Melzi and the Sanguino. It looks like the A0 pin is typically used for SD CS. Which is what would be used by the SD extender on Sanguino, and is already used for the on-board uSD on the Melzi.

But then I looked into both my Marlin pins.h and my Repetier pins.h files, and SDSS can be configured, so you'd want to change that from 31 to 30. So you're now using A1 instead of the CS on the on-board uSD slot.

Then, as near as I can tell by comparing schematics and pictures, everything would work out the same.
November 14, 2014 01:08PM
Thank you very much, I will give it a try.

Edit: Ah.. the SDSS pin is 53 in my setup. Can you tell me how those numbers are defined?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 01:24PM by Arakon.
November 14, 2014 01:47PM
Would like to know this as well since I bricked the SD slot on my Melzi when I had electrical problems to run the 3D printer right after building.
I have been printing with the USB cable for 6 months now wich is a shame really.

Creality CR10/X Dual color/material
Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mendel90 (decommissioned)
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
November 14, 2014 01:55PM
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that there's multiple sections in that file.

Edit: Works. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 02:05PM by Arakon.
Attachments:
open | download - 20141114_195503.jpg (190.1 KB)
November 14, 2014 04:59PM
Hi Arakon

Can I ask where you bought the ext SD card module and it's price?

I have found a pinout on wiki and A0 is not mentioned there.
Wich connections do I have to make to make it work?

Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
November 14, 2014 05:04PM
I got the SD reader off ebay from a generic Hong Kong shop for like 4$. If you search for "sd card module", you'll find tons.
i.e. [www.ebay.de]
If you look at the back side, all the pins are labeled to match the ISP connector pins, except for CS. After changing pins.h as mentioned above, CS is A1 on the header next to it.
November 14, 2014 05:19PM
Ok thnx very much for the explenation.
I found 1 card wich looks alot like yours for 2$

SD card reader

Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login