Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie question. Should I update my firmware or bootloader? Which one.

Posted by scubaguy 
Newbie question. Should I update my firmware or bootloader? Which one.
November 04, 2014 01:37AM
I'm building my first reprap. I have a Sanguinololu board which is probably about a year or two old. Supposedly it already has a bootloader and firmware, but I'm unsure which.

I've read the wiki and the number of firmware choices seem overwhelming for a beginner.

Can anyone recommend a good bootloader/firmware combo? Is there a way to check which I already have?
Re: Newbie question. Should I update my firmware or bootloader? Which one.
November 04, 2014 03:23AM
if it has a boot loader, leave it alone, unless your know what your doing.. you also need a AVR programmer to upload a boot loader.

Re firmware... if you have 644p, your options are limited. The most common firmware is marlin and it will not fit on a 644p unless all additional functions (SD, LCD etc) are off. You can still run teacup and the obsolete sprinter.

If you have a 1284p chip its all fine.

Easiest way to test firmware is to plug it in, usb power only and try to talk to it with pronterface.. see if you can get it talking. Most firmwares identify themselves somewhat on connect.
November 04, 2014 05:20AM
Correct. There's no need to replace the bootloader as long as it works. Controlling firmware is entirely independent from the bootloader.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 04, 2014 01:06PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll plan on keeping the bootloader, and checking the firmware version with pronterface.

Can anyone clarify something about the bootloader though? When reading through the wiki, near the top in the "bugs" section, the second bug mentions a problem with the motors moving during firmware upgrade. It says "A software fix is to use the the Gen7 boot strap that does not flash the non-existent LED"

So I'm a little confused, is the bootloader and boot strap the same thing or different? I do have a usbasp board, I'd rather not go through the trouble of changing the bootloader if I don't have to. I am however quite concerned about this issue with the motors moving, and possibly damaging the extruder, or causing other damage. Is there a simpler workaround, like perhaps just unplugging the motors whenever upgrading firmware? Any input if this is really a problem, and if so, the simplest workaround?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login