Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu 1.3a, Marlin and Sainsmart lcd

Posted by mtsnow 
Sanguinololu 1.3a, Marlin and Sainsmart lcd
December 26, 2013 03:10PM
Hi, I am running Sanguinololu1.3a with marlin firmware. I have just installed the atmega 1284p and am running smoothly. I would now like to install the Sainsmart lcd and sd card reader for Sanguinololu but I have found no information. I can set up the basic marlin configuration.h file for my prusa mendel in the arduino environment but have been unable to get the lcd contoller working. If anyone could direct me to a thread or forum with more information on this combination I would appreciate it!
Re: Sanguinololu 1.3a, Marlin and Sainsmart lcd
January 15, 2014 09:53AM
Hi mtsnow:
Have you been able to operate the sainsmart lcd controller with the Sanguinololu?
January 31, 2014 09:04AM
Guess this thread is best for asking my similar question as well: Sanguinololu 1.3a but with Repetier firmware, and the same display type - could be from the same Sainsmart.
Now, the problem is - I can't get the pinout straight. Need to make a section similar to this but for our controller (folowing one is for Rumba board):

if MOTHERBOARD==80
#define BEEPER_PIN             44
#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      19
#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN      -1
#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN  42
#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN      18
#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN      38
#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN      41
#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN      40
#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN      18
#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      38
#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      41
#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      40
#define UI_ENCODER_A           12
#define UI_ENCODER_B           11
#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK       43
#define UI_RESET_PIN           46

Unfortunately I am not very good at figuring these things out. I have found the pin markings on the board in this very useful article: [blog.think3dprint3d.com]
I also seem to have a table of correspondance of pins between the display board and the controller connector (think I found it on :

Controller pin      |   LCD board pin    |   designation
GND                 |   1                |
5V                  |   2                |
                    |   3                |  trimpot - contrast
D16                 |   4                |   RS
GND                 |   5                |   RW
D17                 |   6                |   Enable
not used            |   7 - 10           |   Data 1-4
23                  |   11               |   Data 5
25                  |   12               |   Data 6
27                  |   13               |   Data 7
29                  |   14               |   Data 8
                    |   15               | Backlight +
                    |   16               | Backlight -

But this table does not seem to help me much. I have also found the schema of the processor on the Wiki page, and tried to guess which pins of the processor correspond to which pin on the connector - but do not seem to manage, as they for example clash with the table I gave above. Has anyone tried to make this kind of display board work before? I presume the pinout is the same no matter which firmware you use, you still has to point the right pin to tthe right function. Is there a list of pins of processor corresponding to pins of this connector?
January 31, 2014 10:44AM
Hi bujholm
I did run the Sainsmart LCD controller with Sanguinololu and the Marlin software. When I bought the LCD, came with an adapter for the extension pin header of the Sanguinololu . Have you the same?.
January 31, 2014 12:09PM
Hi robbyg, I have the same display as pictured here: [www.geeetech.com] and I do have the right adapter - the one that reconnects the 2 groups of 10 pins into a group of 14 and a group of 6 pins As shown here
The problem might be a bit trickier that I initially thought - I can guess the pins on the connector of the Sanguinololu, but I have not faound any indication as to what any of these pins connect to on the display PCB. Now, I know from the post I have already mentioned that the 6-pin connector and A0 from the other connector are occupied by the SDSL, and this part seems to compile without a word so I leave that as working. But how does the display, beeper, rotary encoder and reset button connect? Ok, reset button is no big deal - it's one of the 6-pin group and it actually works without any firmware (I have tried that aready smiling smiley). That leaves finding out which three pins are occupied by the rotary encoder's functions, which pin takes care of the beeper, and how do A1-A4 pins manage to transfer all data to the dispay, and all that that out of the 8 remaining pins: A1-A4, PWM, SCL, SDA, TX1 and RX1.
I suck at these electronic things, I am sure even the names of the pins are obvious to someone who knows..
January 31, 2014 02:50PM
Hi bujholm, If your display is to the geeetech.com I think there's a problem. From what I could see it is a I2C display instead should be SPI. In the I2C case the communication is done via two wires (SDA and SCK), whereas in the SPI communication is performed by means of four cables (MOSI, MISO, SCK, reset). I donĀ“t know if there is firmware that supports the I2C. If the lcd was one of sainsmart I could send you the pin out of the two 5x2 connectors in the LCD module.
March 11, 2014 05:47PM
Robby,

Please do post this pin out, as I have just ordered a board for which I suspect I will need it.

Thanks,
Craig

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[blogger.kritzinger.net]
March 12, 2014 06:24PM
Hi Craig:
When you buy the LCD controller kit, it comes with a brake board to adapt to a Sanguinololu. Here is an outline and a connection table. I hope It serve you .
Attachments:
open | download - SainSmart LCD Controller.pdf (15.6 KB)
March 22, 2014 04:34PM
RobbyG,

Thanks for providing this. It turns out that what they sent me looks like this:

[www.makershop.co.nz] (although in white, so not actually the Geeetech one)

When I look at the Sainsmart site, it has these two:
  1. [www.sainsmart.com] - Sanguinololu version
  2. [www.sainsmart.com] - RAMPS version

The only differences between the two Sainsmart boards seems to be the connector board. Which seems to be a "dumb" (i.e. no electornics) board. With the RAMPS one being identical to the one I was sent.

Do you have any knowledge/opinion on whether I should simply be able to manually do the wiring?

Thanks,
Craig

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[blogger.kritzinger.net]
March 22, 2014 05:09PM
Without a doubt. With the connection table I sent you, will not have any problems. If you have any questions, send me a PM.
March 24, 2014 02:36AM
Or you could just buy the SL converter its a whole $1.50usd! (on special atm) [www.geeetech.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 02:37AM by Dust.
March 24, 2014 03:47AM
Dust
Or you could just buy the SL converter its a whole $1.50usd! (on special atm) [www.geeetech.com]

Thanks Dust. Funny how you can search and search and not find it. All Google hits showed me the complete kit. (I was not trawling the Geetech site)

Annoyingly the listing I bought off said it had the Sanguinololu Smart adapter included, but it came with the RAMPS one.

I was hoping to not wait for a couple more weeks for more to ship from China.

EDIT: It's $2.90, not $1.50 (not showing a special offer to me) and $3.99 shipping, so considering the item I bought was incorrectly described I reckon I should not be paying the $6.89...

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 03:58AM by CraigRK.

[blogger.kritzinger.net]
March 24, 2014 04:58AM
pity. you must have missed the special by minutes...
March 24, 2014 05:03AM
so get this one [www.ebay.com]

$3.00, free shipping... might take a while

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 05:04AM by Dust.
March 24, 2014 02:45PM
Got one for $2.99 on ebay.

Also raised a case with the seller to see what they do about it. To be honest, not really fussed as it isn't much money, but it's the principle. I paid for something so I should get it. :-)

[blogger.kritzinger.net]
February 06, 2017 02:08PM
Hi all,
I know that this thread is long in the tooth but so am I, I bought a reprap smart controller some time ago and when it came, it came with the ramps interface no good for my sanguinololu, time passed and I found a correct interface for the sanguinololu on ebay that has now arrived but I still cannot get the display or sd card to work. On first powering up even the backlight does not light. Untill I unplug the interface and re-connect it but then all that is visible on the screen is the backlight and the first and third line as charector blocks not charectors. I have tried setting the configuration.h to define different controllers but the only one that the afforesaid happens is when set to reprap smart controller (white board option) defineing other boards does not have any effect, though my board is red and the LCD board soldered to it is green. Can soemone please help possibly directly to my email knigel6@gmail.com.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login