Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Motor Not Working

Posted by Flightless 
Extruder Motor Not Working
November 10, 2013 02:13AM
Hey All,

I recently replaced my extruder head and it required a change in the extruder motor direction. So I swapped the wires for the stepper motor to change the polarity of a coil and now the extruder just jitters instead of working.

If I plug the extruder motor into the x-axis and jog it, it runs fine. Now I know that swapping wires on the stepper motors isn't supposed to be able to damage the board, but I think that in this case it has. Any ideas about how to work out what's blown? Is it the stepper driver?

Also note: the heatbed now powers on when I switch on the power supply and won't respond to temperature controls. Not sure if this is related but it was fine before I tried to reverse the stepper direction.
Re: Extruder Motor Not Working
November 10, 2013 03:41AM
Swapping the stepper wires around while the board is on will kill the pololu drivers 99.5% of the time.
November 10, 2013 03:44AM
Ok, then I will need a new pololu driver for the extruder. Can you explain the heatbed issue?
November 10, 2013 04:06AM
Ok, I swapped the stepper of the extruder for another one (with the board OFF this time eye rolling smiley ), and it runs fine, I have definitely killed the other one. But the heatbed issue persists...you wouldn't have any idea about that would you?

(Apologies for the double-post)
November 10, 2013 05:01AM
The FET's are quite sensitive to static damage. Could also have been taken out when the Pololu went.

I would guess the FET for the HBP has died in the on position. Since the normal ones are fairly marginal I would replace it with something better than what was on there orriginaly.

From the reprap irc bot.

"Best mosfets for driving your heated bed: IRLB3813, IRLB8743, FDP8870, AOT240L, CSD18502KCS. These mosfets will run merely warm with NO heatsink and a load current of 10A. They should be good to over 15A with no heatsink according to the worst-case numbers in their datasheets and is also see also [reprap.org]"
November 15, 2013 01:42AM
Dust,

Thanks for all of your help. I have now replaced the pololu and my printer is working again. smiling smiley I'll look at replacing the power mosfet in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login