Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can a k type thermocouple be used with Marlin and a Sanguinololu 1.3a

Posted by ktech162 
Can a k type thermocouple be used with Marlin and a Sanguinololu 1.3a
September 20, 2013 10:50PM
I am interested to know if this setup will work. I bought one of those China K-type hot ends and my Sanguinololu 1.3a running Marlin firmware is made for two thermistors. I see where some people use chips to interface a thermocouple to the board but no one seems to tell the whole story of how it is done. Does the interface circuit hook to the present thermocouple inputs? I would appreciate it if someone could show me how to change the firmware of marlin to do this and I also need a schematic of how it is done.
Re: Can a k type thermocouple be used with Marlin and a Sanguinololu 1.3a
September 24, 2013 05:28AM
Read through the configuration.h file in the marlin firmware.

//===========================================================================
//=============================Thermal Settings ================================
//===========================================================================

// -2 is thermocouple with MAX6675 (only for sensor 0)
// -1 is thermocouple with AD595

I don't have a Sanguinololu 1.3a so I cant comment on hardware, You may or may not have to remove a cap or resistor, I don't know??

It will plug into the connector that the thermistor was in, you will have to work out which pin is ground and which is the ADC input, maybe download the board schematics and layout.

=======================================================
A wise man once told me "Never trust a man who doesn't own a shed!"
Gen 6 daughter board
[forums.reprap.org]
Mendel PCB heatbed
[forums.reprap.org]
September 25, 2013 12:44AM
Thanks! I will try that. I think I will have to remove the 4.7k resistor and maybe the cap.
December 18, 2013 09:13PM
Slymike, Im starting back into this after getting some free time to mess with it again. I tried to set the settings to -1 in the marlin firmware and upon trying to compile it gives an error about not being in thermistor tables or something similar. Looking deeper into the Zen Toolworks marlin I do not believe this version has the ability to set the thermocouple settings to -1 or -2. I see 0 thru 6 but nothing that matches my AD595. Can I merge two different marlin configs to get this to work by copying all the thermistor files out of a version like you have? What version are you using and where can I download it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login