Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i've got endstops and X axis issues

Posted by BotomUp 
i've got endstops and X axis issues
August 22, 2013 08:54PM
hi there,

i've got problems to start up my Mendel.
it's built with Sanguinolou v1.3a w/ATmega644P.
i've just succeeded to upload the Marlin firmware with Arduino 0018 runing on windows 7/64b.

i'm using PronterFace as host to verify how the axis works.
X axis only move one way, but nicely.
Y axis make brrrrr instead of turning so i don't know which side it trys to turn
Z axis have the same brrrrr problem as Y axis
E stepper motor make also the same brrrr sound

i looked up for endstops state with M119 :
x_min: TRIGGERED
y_min: TRIGGERED
z_min: open
this is a surprise because all the soldering and the firmware configurations are the same for the 3 axis.
it happen that only the Z endstop works. i can use the Z home command and stop the Z stepper motor pulling the Z endstop (belts are actually removed).

i looked up for voltage on endstops circuits.
i make the measurements between SIG and GND pins (the outside ones) for each circuit, and then between GND pin and the coresponding stop_pin directly on the chip. voltages are the same in both cases :
X 0.00V
Y 2.44V
Z 3.10V
ain't that strange ?

i've tested solderings, wirings, permuted endstops, permuted stepper motors.
everything stay the same. each motor turn nicely when plugged in X, every endstop work well when plugged in Z.

i've checked the pins.h file so the mapping is good as far as i can see, at least i'm sure for the stop_pins

it could be a firmware issue.
but i've allready cheked the values about axis directions, inverting axis or pullups.

it could be a hardware issue
i don't know what test to do to verify that.

it could be a bootloader issue.
the chip is allready bootloaded but i don't know how.

and i rade on the sangino's wiki
http://reprap.org/wiki/Sanguinololu
Fuse Settings
The fuses for the atmel chip must be changed from the default factory settings to disable JTAG.
Symptoms of incorrect fuse settings:
- X axis only moves in one direction.
- Endstops do not work
that looks like my problems.
but i don't know how to chek that. i don't know what fuses are.

thank's for help
Re: i've got endstops and X axis issues
August 23, 2013 04:05PM
My Hero

I atually had the exact same problem a few days earlyer here:
[forums.reprap.org]

I never read anything about the fuse settings beign off before reading your post. I didn't know what it was so i started googling.

What you need to do is go into your arduino folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\Sanguino\ and edit the security of the file boards.txt to allow you're user to edit it. After that Edit the fallowing lines in the 644p section to:

atmega644.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega644.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDC
atmega644.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD

Then reburn you're bootloader

I reflashed the firmware as well just to be sure and finnally my endstops started working I have been having this problem for weeks now and even orderd new 644p chips.
August 23, 2013 08:15PM
thanks Eddie4. i feeeeel good !

and i'm sorry because i saw you're post yesterday night and i didn't answer to it.
i'm to novice in 3d printing.
my machine never worked till now, so i couldn't imagine that i could help you.
great you saw my post.

i have to order a programer now (i'm thinking about a USBasp) and live the flashing experience.
your step-by-step tutorial will be usefull to me.
September 09, 2014 01:38PM
What about 1284p?
September 09, 2014 05:44PM
Hey ts87,

Lucky you i subscribed to this thread. The 1284 is tricky, it seems to be a lot less tolerant for changes in frequency. I never got mine to work.

But these blogs explain a lot. I hope they will help you out.

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]
[stevesfixitshop.blogspot.co.uk]
September 10, 2014 06:01PM
I actually got mine to work yesterday evening. I downloaded one last bootloader at 11:15 pm and the motors and the end stops are working great now. I even managed to calibrate it a bit, but it needs some more tempering with.
October 02, 2014 07:28PM
Hi!

ts87 how did you do to Endstop working and X axis only moves in one direction? because I trying Sanguinololu work with my 1284p and ceramic resonator 16 Mhz and I could not even among this page [www.engbedded.com] for edit the FUSE.
because supposedly the firmware that comes with marlin and improving disable JTAG enter board.txt and not that editing on.

thanks a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login