Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Software do I need?

Posted by jrz126 
What Software do I need?
August 07, 2013 09:15AM
I'm building my first 3d printer. I'm thinking about going with the sanuniololu board since its relativly cheap.

What software will i need to run it? (I've never used any of this Arduino stuff before).

Is there a Wiki page that covers the entire software flow? From 3d model to actual printed object?
Re: What Software do I need?
August 07, 2013 12:01PM
You want a firmware. About every firmware runs on a Sanguínololu.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: What Software do I need?
August 08, 2013 01:25AM
There is a list of all common firmware: [reprap.org]
Any of them will do.

Teacup is very compact (less than 32kB, 16kB possible) and written in a very efficient and clean way, great for hacking.

Marlin is probably the most popular. It is extremly feature rich, but needs more resources. It supports even graphical user panels out-of-the box. It needs at least a 64kB CPU, for user panel support at least 128kB.

On the host side you will need something to convert the 3D-STL-File to a g-code file, called a slicer program. Slic3r is very easy to use and powerful.

And finally you need software to feed the g-code data to the firmware. Pronterface is popular, but there are more alternatives.

All this software is free and open source and it works with almost all available printer electronics.

The main question about electronics is if you like soldering and want to build the electronics by yourself. Than a Sanguino kit is a good choice. Or you might prefer a fully assembled solution which doesn't need to be more expensive than a self-soldered version.

And finally some self-advertisment: I have started a pre-sale-campaign for my Melzi-Version (Sanguino compatible) for 79€ last week. Maybe this is for you?

-----------

3D printer electronics
Campaign on Ulule.com for MaKrPanel with graphical LCD and improved Melzi controller board

improved Melzi controller board
Panel with graphical LCD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login