Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu with DRV8811?

Posted by h13ce 
Sanguinololu with DRV8811?
June 07, 2013 12:23AM
Dear all,
Since I hardly know anything about electronics, this might be a dumb question. Can I use DRV8811 instead of A4988 for the Sanguinololu?
Thank you for your help.
Re: Sanguinololu with DRV8811?
June 08, 2013 10:01AM
There are a couple non-A4988 driver boards that can be dropped in as a replacement, however, I've never seen a DRV8811 board. Link to the specific board you're thinking of? Could you possibly be thinking of this one: [www.pololu.com]? If so, yes, a few people have dropped it in and said it works like a charm (just make sure you change the microstepping jumpers on the board or the steps per unit in firmware). Pololu also makes DRV8824 and DRV8834 variants, which are low current and low voltage, respectively. I don't know that you'd want to use either of those; *34 is too low a voltage for the standard 12V, and the *24 supposedly has more consistent microstepping, but has less amperage (and therefore less torque for a given motor) and may not be enough for your printer, depending on what kind of printer it is.
June 08, 2013 11:44AM
Thank you for your detailed support.
Here is what I am planning to use: [www.digikey.com]
Do you think it could be a replacement?
June 08, 2013 06:28PM
Short answer: no.

What you've linked to is just the chip that controls the motor. The Pololu A4988 is here: [www.pololu.com] The Sanguinololu uses the full board that contains the chip as well as some other stuff. Now, you could theoretically design a board that would let you use the DRV8811, but it requires some electrical engineering knowledge and a TON more work than paying 10 bucks each (or less on eBay) for the already made board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login