Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experiences with easy electronics

Posted by ChaosRepRap 
Experiences with easy electronics
April 30, 2013 05:11PM
Hi !

I'm currently building my first RepRap, i decided to build a MendelMax. I already ordered some misumi parts for the mechanics and the plasics via ebay. Now i'm looking for the electronics.
In the wiki i found a page about electronics for printers Alternative_Electronics.
I'm more a mechanic so my demands are easy installation, printing from SD-card and for the future a second extruder.
The sanguino platform seems to be the most common, at least there are 5 variants of it.

My favorite is the Easy_electronics, i like the nice graphics LCD and it seems really easy to use. Especially the cable connections seem to be well structured.

The indiegogo campaign is finished in june which meets my requirements and the price is quite competitive.

What du you think? Will this be a good choice.

Thanks!

ChaosRepRap
Re: Experiences with easy electronics
May 05, 2013 08:40AM
Brand new board, compleatly unsupported or even tryed by the reprap community... huge risk! with zero help apart from supplier (if your lucky)

For a first machine... I personaly would want a much support and help as I could get.

Also the funding project is missleading... cable mess?? they picture a gen 3 that had seperate stepper and extruder controllers, this tech is 2+ years old. Most boards these days are single board solutions just like this one.

Just my view, I wouldnt touch this with barge poll, till its been out at least 6 months.
STB
May 05, 2013 01:18PM
This is not correct. As the designer i have to clarify a bit.

There is a predecessor STB-Electronics used by users. This board has native support in Marlins main branch and it was the first electronics in the world with graphics LCD support. I developed also the software for this and it is also in Marlins master branch.

The design is proven, supported and innovative. There is no other board on the market wich has this clear grouping of connectors on one signle edge.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there is NO other true single board (SD-card, graphics LCD, click encoder, USB, 2 Extruder ....) available.

There is still a cable mess with other boards you are calling all in one solution. You will have this cable mess, when equipping them with LCD, menu encoder, SD-Card interface.

Please rethink your posing above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 01:19PM by STB.

Grüße / Regards

STB

Basics about MOSFETs
May 06, 2013 04:20AM
I stand by my statements. I am entitled not to blindly follow your propaganda.

It doesn’t matter if a previous version is good or not... that is un related. A recent example of exactly this is the Rumba, based on proven tech done by a reliable company, kickstarted, got funding.. Doesn’t work. The end stops are to noisy.

If your going to be picky about it your board doesn’t fit the "NO other true single board" description either. You use separate plug in pololu type boards.

There is nothing new or unique in your board, just combining all current extras does not make it unique. no matter what your marketing people say.

Quite frankly the first post also reads like a marking attempt, I wouldn’t be surprised If they are a mate of yours and the post was really an attempt raise awareness of the campaign. New user, first post and following the company line.

My LCD, click encoder and SDcard reader is connected with one nice tidy ribbon cable. How is that an untidy cable mess?

Also no signs of the design files. Eternally "coming soon". Your trying to release a new version and you still haven’t released the last versions files. Hardly true to the open source philosophy

My opinions have not changed, In fact I'm am now more resolved than ever not to recommend this to anyone.

Your just another person attempting to jump on the reprap band waggon attempting to make money from people who don’t know any better.
STB
May 06, 2013 04:30AM
Thank you.

My intention was to make the life easier. Not being a millionaire.
There are a lot of things in it to improve especially robustness and EMC behavior.
I spent a lot of time in writing the code for the GLCD for the public (marlin).

That's life...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 05:21AM by STB.

Grüße / Regards

STB

Basics about MOSFETs
May 06, 2013 05:33AM
Melzi has a single row of connectors down one side and they are screw connectors because friction fit have been found to be unreliable when subject to vibration and thermal cycling.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 06, 2013 10:09AM

Brand new board, compleatly unsupported or even tryed by the reprap community... huge risk! with zero help apart from supplier (if your lucky)

Such statements pretty much ask for stopping innovation, don't they?

I consider having support from the designer (STB is here and answers questions) to be actually a big advantage over Sanguinololu, RAMPS & Co. Getting a RAMPS you can just hope the supplier has grabbed the right design files. Remember that mess with StepSticks, where different suppliers had different trimpots, leading to different motor currents? Remember these StepSticks which were poorly soldered and didn't work at all? Remember Sanguinololu still has an undersized MOSFET for the heated bed, just because nobody fixes this? Recognized RAMPS has no freewheeling diode on the MOSFETs which leads to occasionally broken MOSFETs, also an unfixed issue? Such things happen when designers plunk down their work and disappear, leaving distribution to (often unknowing) suppliers.

For myself, being a big fan of DIY-able stuff, I won't buy that anytime soon either, but there's also no reason to yell at it. It's not a revolution, but a nice innovation, especially for those who are keen on displays and plug&play.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login