Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning Sanguino bootloader onto 1284p onboard using arduino mega

Posted by freemoore 
Burning Sanguino bootloader onto 1284p onboard using arduino mega
April 25, 2012 01:55PM
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this? I have a Sanguinololu board with the atmega1284P on board, and an Arduino Mega 1280 board I want to use to burn the bootloader to the 1284p and follow that with the Marlin firmware.

The Mega has the 'arduino ISP' sketch apparently successfully uploaded, and the two boards are connected via their 6-pin ISP headers. When I try to 'burn bootloader using arduino as isp' I just get an error: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding... I don't want to have to buy a separate ISP programmer when it looks like the arduino will work as one; the connections look correct per the 6-pin isp pinout. I've seen a ton of advice on similar topics but haven't found the exact same setup as this and am confused about what to do next. Any thoughts?
many thanks
Andy
Re: Burning Sanguino bootloader onto 1284p onboard using arduino mega
April 25, 2012 10:21PM
I have a 1284P sanguinololu and and arduino uno and just finished burning the bootloader. I have spent several weeks looking for a solution and I finally found one... This is what worked for me:

[github.com]
[stevesfixitshop.blogspot.com]

hope this help...
April 26, 2012 05:02AM
Gen7 has now an Arduino IDE Support package tailored for reprap usage, this should also work for Sanguinololus: [forums.reprap.org]

For more detailed instructions, see the Gen7 wiki page: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 06, 2013 01:35PM
After spending quite a bit of time on this, I finally followed these instructions/code and burned a bootloader onto my AT Mega 1284P-PU chip. I used an Arduino Uno as the ISP. I followed all of the same wiring, except I used a 16Mhz crystal with (2) 22pf capacitors.
Instructions:
[reprap.org]

Arduino 1.01 software:
[arduino.googlecode.com]

And this code of Sanguino:
[sanguino.googlecode.com]

copied Sanguino code into the /arduino-1.0.1/hardware folder.
I didn't have to make any changes to boards.txt or any other config files.
I'm assuming I'll have to make changes to my fuses later on, since I'm using a crystal in my Sanguino pcb, instead of a resonator. But for now, I've at least got a bootloader.
Maybe this will help someone get through this larger chip upgrade easier!
June 13, 2013 12:27PM
I just went through this process - even bought an ISP that doesnt work with the 1284p...

You can read what I did here: [www.dcgtek.com]

Cheers,

Col.
June 26, 2013 10:21AM
Robochef your blog looks Good, the same way I have processed for my sanguinololu 1.3a before some days back and modified the sanguinololu's design according to the Crystal and 22pF capacitors can sit inside the small space, which was designed (modified) by me for only through hole components, except a SMD type FT232RL

Enjoy life smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login