Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing KISSlicer

Posted by lonesock 
Re: Introducing KISSlicer
January 26, 2014 10:06AM
is this software still maintained / developed ?
I see that the latest update is from May 2013....

I have tried it yesterday ... and the results are very good ...
I'm interested in buying the PRO version, but I have some questions:

- are future versions planned ?
- will be there a brim feature in the near future ?

kisslicer forum is down with this message (Temporarily closed for maintenance.)

thanks,
mihai
January 26, 2014 12:31PM
The developer has not been heard from since September 30th 2013 so development is assumed stopped. Apparently if you order the pro key you will still receive it but it is assumed that the key is sent out by an automated program and not by the developer himself.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 29, 2014 11:25AM
Sublime,

I've always found your posts regarding Kisslicer settings to be very informative and helpful. In Jonathan's absence, have you moved onto a different slicer? If so, which one(s)?

I've been dragging my feet, but I think it's time to move on.

Fl0yd
January 29, 2014 01:48PM
No I will keep using Kisslicer until Cura surpasses it and then I will move onto Cura. But for now Kisslicer does everything I want of it and has so few bugs it is not worth trying others. I also have an archive of Kisslicer releases (alpha, beta and final releases) for all platforms that I will host on my server if Kisslicer.com disappears so people can keep using it. I will also keep trying to help with Kisslicer questions when I come across them.

Also there are a few post processors available for Kisslicer to add features currently not available or only available with a pro license. There is a script to combine two gcode files for multicolor printing. I have written one to adjust the flow rate of each extrusion type (infill, perimeters, etc). I have another one that lets you select a different tool for different extrusion types for multimaterial printing (still buggy right now). There is one available that reduces the short line segments to remove stuttering produced by lots of short line segments. I am sure there are many more available as well to add even more features. Since it produces such nice paths already I would rather post process the gcode than have the program base code messed with and end up with it producing paths more like some of the unmentioned slicers out there.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
January 31, 2014 03:55PM
Sublime,

is there a post processor that adds brim to the gcode generated by kisslicer ?

thanks,
mihai
January 31, 2014 05:34PM
mihai
Sublime,

is there a post processor that adds brim to the gcode generated by kisslicer ?

thanks,
mihai

Not that I know of. You can add it in a modelling program by use of a boolean function and a thin object to act as the brim.

February 04, 2014 09:59AM
Sublime,

Do you the profile settings for the BFB-3000 printer? Axon is not making the object solid and the printer quality isn't good. So, I tried KISSlicer but my printer (BFB3000) stops after it starts running the fans.

Printer :BFB3000 single head
Firmware: V4.2.2
Filament: PLA 3mm
Software: KISSlicer64
Thanks
Sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 10:18AM by Sam123.
February 04, 2014 11:59AM
Sam123
Sublime,

Do you the profile settings for the BFB-3000 printer? Axon is not making the object solid and the printer quality isn't good. So, I tried KISSlicer but my printer (BFB3000) stops after it starts running the fans.

Printer :BFB3000 single head
Firmware: V4.2.2
Filament: PLA 3mm
Software: KISSlicer64
Thanks
Sam

No I do not. Try the Kisslicer google refugee camp. It should have lots of BFB users.

February 05, 2014 10:24AM
looked everywhere on the net, but couldn't find any sad smiley
February 05, 2014 12:12PM
Well I googled Kisslicer refugee camp and found the Kisslicer refugee camp with all the BFB users on it so I am not sure what your problem is. You will have to join it to participate and ask questions.

February 12, 2014 02:37PM
I have purchased the PRO version ... but I cannot find one thing:
how can I change the name for style, support and materials?

I have that combo box where it is written "sample material". How can I change that to PLA or ABS or whatever ?
I tried to click it, double click it, right click it ... I cannot edit it ... nothing works ...

thanks,
mihai
February 12, 2014 02:41PM
March 29, 2014 07:54PM
Has anyone using kisslicer had issues with the extruder steps? I get x y and z movement but the extruder steps are barely noticeable.

I can print just fine using repetier host and slic3r. I think I got all of the configurations in kisslicer set properly
March 29, 2014 10:43PM
It is most likely the firmware selection is set to relative E in Kisslicer and your actual firmware is set to absolute E. So either add M83 to the start code in Kisslicer to tell the firmware to be in relative or change Kisslicer to absolute E to match the firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2014 05:18PM by Sublime.

March 30, 2014 03:34PM
Looking at the gcode output from kisslicer, I don't see M82 or M83. Comparing the start of the output from slic3r I see M82 so that is very likely the problem thanks!

M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion

Sublime
It is most likely the firmware selection is set to relative E in Kisslicer and your actual firmware is set to absolute E. So either add M84 to the start code in Kisslicer to tell the firmware to be in relative or change Kisslicer to absolute E to match the firmware.
March 30, 2014 05:19PM
Yeah Kisslicer is the only slicer that does not automatically insert them and when the forum was still up it was a common problem.

bilsch
Looking at the gcode output from kisslicer, I don't see M82 or M83. Comparing the start of the output from slic3r I see M82 so that is very likely the problem thanks!

M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion

Sublime
It is most likely the firmware selection is set to relative E in Kisslicer and your actual firmware is set to absolute E. So either add M83 to the start code in Kisslicer to tell the firmware to be in relative or change Kisslicer to absolute E to match the firmware.

June 21, 2014 09:51AM
Have tried KiSSlicer a few times, but it never quite gave me a result I could use, weird placement on the print bed, even though I have my X,Y and Z correctly oriented and placed in my STL file...

Cura is currently not giving me any useable results either. I have resorted to using Repetier Host and Slic3r on my mac again. A shame Repetier hasn't updated it's software for mac for over a year, there are some functions that are not working correctly and Slic3r is also giving me strange/bad gcode generations from time to time.

Wish I knew why cura says my prints take 3 hours while Repetier+Slic3r makes it in 1:50 while when I started using Cura, Cura was always twice as fast compared to using Repetier+Slic3r.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
September 27, 2014 12:00AM
There is a recent beta of kisslicer available on their website as of early september 2014. I downloaded it and looked at it a bit, but haven't tried it yet. I prefer to work within my host program, doing my slicing via command line interface. I only go into the slicer itself 1) to change settings, and 2) if I am doing something really unique. Does anybody know if there is a way to slice a file via kisslicer from the command line? I seem to remember from when I tried it a year and a half ago that it was possible, but very clumsy. I don't know if the recent version has improved this aspect.

Thanks.
November 29, 2016 05:29PM
Just paying my respects to Lonesock, I'll post here my thanks since this is the "Inception" Kisslicer post :-)

So: thank you Lonesock!

Kisslicer is a great slicer.
Most of the time it works well and some features are great for Delta printers.
It's lightning fast and easy to use (once you understand it :-) )

I'm sorry to hear that the software development died.
Kisslicer still have bugs that could be solved or some additional could have been added.
But...that's it.
December 18, 2016 05:55AM
Hi there,

Software development died ? 1.5 release has been published last August (2016) and we are expecting new features soon...

By the way, 1,5 release works pretty fine.

Best regards,

Fred

www.imprimante3dfrance.com

Located near Paris - France.
September 24, 2017 08:49AM
"I'm not dead yet!" (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

KISSlicer 1.6 shipped on Sept 7, 2017 after a very long alpha and beta test with quite a few of us testers. This new release is spectacular with many "firsts" in a slicer. Read the RELEASE NOTES for the details but consider these features:

• a new Profile Wizard makes setting up a new printer, material, style or support profile extremely easy. I posted a video tutorial on it along with an actual non-trivial print produced from the generated profiles.
  • a new Tuning Wizard that varies a parameter as a function of Z height to tune things like flow rate, filament extrusion temperature, or tune PreloadVE for the new PRELOAD feature. Video tutorial coming soon.
  • the awesome new Preload feature models how the printer extrudes filament, adapting the head speed to match the precise volume of filament deposited while dynamically adjusting extrusion pressure. Simply amazing results with this, especially for stringy filaments like TPU and PETG.
  • fractional number of loops
  • adaptive layer thickness - performed automatically

And many other improvements. Check it out. There is an all new web site too.

[sublimelayers.blogspot.com]

A strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints [forum.seemecnc.com]
Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts [forum.seemecnc.com]

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
October 25, 2017 07:37AM
Hi Guys

I spoke to the person I bought my filament from yesterday and he has a paid version from Simplify3D and he swears he rather prefers working with KISSlicer.

What are your opinions on this for now?
I have the Prusa Edition Slic3r and the quality seem good but I want to find something optimal for my printer. (RepRapPro Ormerod 1)

I serously considered getting Simplify3D
October 25, 2017 08:35AM
It's like everything else in life and 3D printing, there is no one perfect answer for everyone. What I can say is that it is demonstrable that KISSlicer generates the best g-code of any slicer on the market. By "best" I mean, it has advanced strategies for minimizing/eliminating blobbing/stringing, perimeter artifacts, gaps and other issues. Can you slice a part in any slicer and good or even good-very good results? Sure, if you work at it and really understand the slicer. But with KISS you can get superb parts. But more importantly than that, the KISS community and even the KISS developer are knowledgeable, friendly and collaborative. The choice, of course, is yours and only you can decide if KISS is right for your workflow, your parts, and your usability. But you can download and use it for free and get experience with it. You can't say that for the other slicer - no trial version.

Cheers,
Michael

[sublimelayers.blogspot.com]

A strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints [forum.seemecnc.com]
Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts [forum.seemecnc.com]

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
December 12, 2018 10:37AM
Anyone still using KISS Slicer?
December 12, 2018 01:31PM
yes !! A lot of people I guess... Why do you ask ?

Fred

www.imprimante3dfrance.com

Located near Paris - France.
Re: Multi coloured prints
September 09, 2021 03:38PM
Hi all, I am a registered user of Kisslicer though still would not class myself as an expert I am Retired with time on my hands and I have built a prusa I3 clone machine controlled with Arduino megga and a Ramps 1.4 breakout board it has an additional stepper driver for the third extruder and a self leveling probe as the Z endstop I have fitted a cheep Chinese Diamond extruder fed by 3 steppers and bowden tubes I have just about setup Kiss to drive it but I am wondering if anyone out there uses Kiss for colour printing with a similar spec machine.
I started 3D printing with a basic early single extruder with the old 3mm ABS filament way back. Now I use three rolls of 1.75mm Red, Green, and Blue I would be very interested if anyone could offer any advice on colour mixing settings to use with Kisslicer for the diamond hotend
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login