Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding Dwell, Can You Help?

Posted by The_TG 
Adding Dwell, Can You Help?
June 09, 2014 09:14AM
Hi All,

I'm completely new to 3D printing at this level although I have been working on a new system. It is a test rig that allows me to use different materials to the standard ABS/PLA. The problem I have is that the material is very sticky and thick and it has a tenancy to ooze. For the majority of parts, this is not a problem however where I have 2 parts of a layer that are separate on that layer the head moves from one part of the layer to the next and pulls material away leaving wisps all over complex models. Therefore I would like to be able to add a dwell function (G4) for each time that the head moves from section to section on the same layer.

Short of pasting in G4 and the time into the editor whenever the head moves, can anyone think of a way of doing this? Is there a way of creating a template for slicing models for this material type given these parameters? I'm currently using Slic3r but happy to look at any alternative to generate my code.

Thanks, any help welcome.

Tom
Re: Adding Dwell, Can You Help?
August 02, 2014 06:04PM
The usual way of avoiding that sort of problem is retraction. What sort of extruder are you using, and how much retraction?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Adding Dwell, Can You Help?
September 06, 2014 07:32PM
It's easy in any programming language with decent string support. Read the G-code file... as soon as you encounter a line G1 X... Y... without E..., insert your G4 before it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login