Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob Question

Posted by King Masterlord 
Noob Question
November 20, 2012 03:55PM
Quick question: would it be terribly difficult to convince one of these that i've put it together with a meter cube of buildspace? Because that's what i intend to do. Armor for larp'ers and whatnot.
Re: Noob Question
November 21, 2012 05:36AM
I really don't get your question. Could you elaborate please ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 14, 2013 10:11PM
I presume his question reads in Human-English ( winking smiley ) a bit like this:

"Is it possible to build a 1 M cube sized 3D reprap style printer? I want to make armor."

And the answer is yes. Get your wallet ready, 'cuz it's gonna cost you. Many people consider it more sensible to produce smaller parts, then combine them like an "old-fashioned" plastic model kit. A 1M square heated bed will alone set you back quite a bit, plus you need to power it, which will also cost quite a bit. Then there are the steppers you'll need. And then the rest. I just added the most expensive bits for illustration.

Me, I'd recommend that someone getting started in this start small. Then and only then consider increasing the build size. Even a standard reprap with a 200x200mm bed will cost most people somewhere between $500 and $1000, including a few rolls of filament.

personal note: old-fashioned is sadly true but still kinda funny to me. I built dozens and dozens of them when I was a kid, mowing lawns, shoveling drives and walks, raking leaves, doing other odd jobs to support my "habit"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 10:15PM by xiando.
VDX
February 15, 2013 03:16AM
... there are 3D-printers out there, printing with >1cm wide nozzles, slightly elastic filament (reducing warp) and building sizes of some metres - look here: [singularityhub.com]

For really solid big parts I'll build a sort of sand-printer (similar to powder-printers), where an even layer of sand is distributet on the build-platform and then a binding agent is spit along contours ... could be fused with heat too (e.g. concentrated sun-light, laser, halogen-spotlight from spotlight-welding, ...)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login