Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to establish a connection EMC2 with RepRap ?

Posted by ilalexey 
How to establish a connection EMC2 with RepRap ?
June 22, 2010 07:40AM
How to establish a connection EMC2 with RepRap (Motherboard_1_2)?
I read a lot README and on websites, but nothing helped.
Where can I find all the configuration files for example?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 08:45AM by ilalexey.
emt
Re: How to establish a connection EMC2 with RepRap ?
June 22, 2010 01:09PM
Hi

Are you talking about axes?. If so you need to decide the parallel port pin numbers you want to use in EMC. Easiest way is to use the stepper wizard that comes with EMC. Then you need to make a connection from the parallel port pin to the motherboard pin. From experience I would suggest you connect one axis only and get that sorted before moving on to limit switches and the other axes. That means you need to connect three wires. Step - Direction - Ground.

The mother board pins are listed here:-

[reprap.org]

First try to jog the axis very slowly in both directions. When that works sort out the steps needed to give the correct distance moved. Then sort out maximum speed and acceleration for the axis. Then sort out the limit connections for the same axis.

Having got one axis moving you should find the others are fairly straight forward.

Regards

Ian
June 22, 2010 01:22PM
In my laptop there is no LPT or COM port. As in the RepRap project, I use FTDI chip. I am interested in the connection. Not setting stepper motors.

June 22, 2010 03:59PM
In my laptop there is no LPT or COM port. As in the RepRap project, I use FTDI chip. I am interested in the connection. Not setting stepper motors.

Right now, the existing reprap+emc+arduino stuff has emc read and parse the g-codes and m-codes and the "bitbang" (send voltage pulses for each step) via the parallel-port to "generic CNC electronics" as used by formal CNC machines. That's vanilla emc.

For RepRap+emc people also use arduino over USB at the same time.

However, emc can send g-codes over usb to ardino, as per [axis.unpy.net]
(via [reprap.org])

But no one has figured that out yet; so it is a research topic for you - try the arduino dev list along with the emc-users or emc-developers mailing list grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 04:22PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 22, 2010 04:18PM
>> This may help: reprap.org
It does not go. I do not know what should be configuration files.
Something is missing in the README file.
Maybe there is someone all settings?
June 23, 2010 03:03AM
It does not go. I do not know what should be configuration files
... That is because there are no configuration files for the configuration of emc and Motherboard_1_2. Yet. People commonly use emc with completely different hardware, and are only now starting to look at emc arduino, emc sanguino, or emc arduino mega.

I'm not saying that what you're attempting to do is impossible, merely that no one has done it and documented it. I think.

The easy way would be try something else: [reprap.org]

The fun way is to realize that you are a RepRap developer and create (and document) a configuration file.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
emt
June 23, 2010 05:18AM
Hi

My previous message was confusing. (Too many late nights!) You have to substitute the motherboard connections to the stepper motor drives with the same commands from the the EMC parallel port to the stepper drives.

I would get a cheap dumb PC with a parallel port card. It is the simplest way to get proper control of a CNC.

As far as I know you cannot use a USB for real time control.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 05:24AM by emt.

Regards

Ian
June 23, 2010 07:06AM
wanted to drill holes .. but everything is difficult.
No program does not compensate for the reversal.

>> The fun way is to realize that you are a RepRap developer and create (and document) a configuration file.
I realize that I was test pilot. The project is very crude. And advertising on the internet about RepRap (makes himself) - is far from the truth.
Children of course like it.
emt
June 24, 2010 04:02AM
Not so far from the truth.
But it does require effort!
I assume you can programme as you said you would install real time on Linux. If I were you I would write a script that parses the G code file and creates a copy that forces every hole to be approached from the same direction. It would hardly make any difference to the run time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 12:45PM by emt.

Regards

Ian
June 24, 2010 09:35AM
> But it does require effort!
Agree
June 24, 2010 02:45PM
I realize that I was test pilot. The project is very crude. And advertising on the internet about RepRap (makes himself) - is far from the truth.

Ouch. sad smiley

RepRap doesn't do advertising, because we're a volunteer-run project and we have no money. smiling bouncing smiley

What's going on is that you've run into the RepRap Combinatorics Problem. (Good luck.)

The stable stuff, as in Gen 3 Electronics with "vanilla" RepRap driver software will work.
Try here.

Any news ?
I was thinking: If you translate the Reprap M-commands for controlling the extruder temperature into a bit pattern on the parallel port you could make the extruder choose from a set of preset temperature settings, For example:
Bit 0 1 Setting
-----------------------
0 0 200deg
0 1 210deg
1 0 220deg
1 1 230deg
The bits can be controlled by EMC's gcode for turning on cooling etc.
This way you eliminate the analog stuff from your EMC setup...
April 27, 2011 04:57PM
Thanks for reply.
There is hope to apply reprap PCBs for milling (extruder is not required)
Think, need a code, that transforms Sanguino to usb2lpt adapter.
emt
April 29, 2011 05:09AM
EMC reprap details here:-
[fabmetheus.crsndoo.com]

Regards

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login