Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder head

Posted by [email protected] 
extruder head
June 18, 2010 08:54PM
I have built a cnc machine that works well with a router head, milling head, and digitizer head. What would it take to make an extruder head, and the controls to control the head dispenser. I am using Mach3 for the table manipulations XY and Z axis. It uses a machine G code for the control language
Re: extruder head
June 19, 2010 12:09AM
I'd suggest EMC (and I've moved the thread to this forum accordingly.)
[reprap.org]

Or you can see if the current electronics:
[reprap.org]
can move your machine around. But EMC is the cheap way to do it since you already have parallel port control and electronics.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 20, 2010 07:34PM
I'm not sure what EMC is. I am looking for just the heating element, feeder, and the elelctronics that supports just he extruder.
June 21, 2010 03:45AM
I'm not sure what EMC is.

It is this: [www.linuxcnc.org]
It would mean installing linux on a handy computer with a parallel port. EMC is the cheap way to do it since you already have parallel port control and electronics.

Our documentation on this is still gelling. smiling bouncing smiley

Just buy a [reprap.org] or post a query here
[forums.reprap.org]
and our fellow entrepreneurial-type researchers will help you out.
emt
June 21, 2010 07:43AM
I tried to use Mach3 for X, Y , Z and use the Arduino to handle extruder and heater controlled with Mach's serial output.

I got this to work but the send serial command in Mach is a bit of a cludge and not at all reliable. Out of interest I understand the serial mode in Mach is about to be upgraded to a plugin and this may solve many of the problems.

My next move was to switch to EMC2 and use the same approach with EMC handling the axes and the Arduino handling the heater and extruder commanded via serial output. This worked but a problem arose. I have to use a relatively slow acceleration as the machine slides are heavy compared to a Mendel. The extruder extruded at a fixed rate as the axes speed up and the problem was that I was getting a big build up of plastic on the corners and at extruder switch on.
I then set up the extruder as an A axis and that has worked well.

I would set up a stepper controlled extruder as A axis in Mach3. Then use the Arduino to handle only the heater. The A axis is now accelerated with the other axes and the plastic flow increases at the same rate as the axes accelerate.

Enrique's modified skeinforge so it puts out very acceptable 5D gcode. You have to implement the Dimension tool. He even added extruder retract for me that pulls back the plastic when ever the extruder turns off which stops a lot of oozing that I was getting. There is also a replace function so that the extruder command can be generated as "A" for a CNC machine rather than "E" that is used by Mendel

Regards

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login