Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different regions within layer

Posted by Niels 
Different regions within layer
March 23, 2013 12:20PM
Usely I like to use Skeiforge, but today I experimented a bit with Slic3r. I noticed a feature in Slic3r that I cannot find in Skeinforge.

When there are two bridges in different directions, Slic3r will create different regions to fill in the bridges in the best direction for both of them. I tried to do the same with Skeinforge but it just takes the middle way for both.

This also comes in handy with a big build. Let's say you're printing a pyramid shaped object, and the diameter changes between one and another layer. Slic3r will print the outer edge with solid infill, and the inside region with the chosen 0,3 infill. Skeinforge makes the whole layer solid infill. If it is a big part with just a small step in diameter change, this can save a lot of time.

Is this option also available in Skeinforge?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Different regions within layer
March 23, 2013 01:24PM
No that is one of only two things I find wrong in Skeinforge. Infill density and direction should be per island rather than per layer. Also the latest version gets some bridges in the wrong direction, where older versions got it right.

The other thing is when using multiple shells, if there isn't room for them all it misses out the inner shell and doesn't replace it with infill so you get a gap.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 23, 2013 01:34PM
Thanks for your reply. So I'm not the only one with this problem. I noticed that te latest version of Skeinforge is over a year old, has the development stopped? Or is there hope that this will be fixed someday? Apart from this problem I like Skeinforge very much.
March 23, 2013 08:44PM
I haven't seen any development or heard from Enrique since everybody started saying "slic3r is nicer". Problem is slic3r might be easier to use but the prints aren't nicer and it is full of bugs.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login