Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to get back to Sfact/Skeinforge

Posted by Komb' 
Trying to get back to Sfact/Skeinforge
December 16, 2012 10:32PM
I was using Skeinforge when I was building my original Prusa. I then switched to Sfact to reduce the learning curve.

I was starting to get the hang of it when Slic3r came along and made settings simple enough I could focus my attention on the other problems I was having.

Now Slic3r Is being the problem too often.

I want to get my head back around Sfact/Skeinforge, but now I have three different printers with three different nozzle sizes. Not to mention different filament parameters...

Plus I'm building yet another different printer.

Slic3r makes handling them easy enough with the printer, filament and print tags.

How best do I approach this with Sfact/Skeinforge?

In case you're wondering The printers are: Prusa v1 .5n, EcksBot .45n and Wallace .4n. Soon to be followed by a RonThomp using my old .35n.
Re: Trying to get back to Sfact/Skeinforge
December 17, 2012 03:24PM
You don't mention if you are controlling all 3 from the same PC. I assume you are.

skeinforge supports multiple profiles. I only use them to differentiate PLA from ABS, but I believe you can name them anything you want. Look under your home directory and you will see a directory named '.skeinforge'. In there you will see a directory named extrusion and in there you will find a separate directory for each of your profiles.

My own experience is somewhat the inverse of yours. I started with Slic3r, but very early on it failed to slice a very simple object correctly, so I tried skeinforge. It had its own startup issues, but I stuck with it and now have things humming pretty good. Now I use both slicers interchangeably, but skeinforge is my primary. In fact, the more I use slic3r, the more I like skeinforge. Slic3r has a much more polished interface, but I like the degree of control skeinforge gives me. The difference in slicing speed is of no consequence to me when we are talking about things that take only a few minutes. In fact, I will often use slic3r to plate a few stls, output as a single stl, and then use skeinforge to slice it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login