Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

solid layer speed

Posted by acc 
acc
solid layer speed
November 12, 2012 06:59AM
Hi,

is there any way to set the speed for solid layers? There is a setting for base layers, but I cannot find it for solid layers...
Re: solid layer speed
November 12, 2012 08:37AM
Not that I know of.

The only solid layers you can differentiate the speed for are, as you said, first layer, but also bridge layers.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
acc
November 13, 2012 11:34AM
Hi guys!

I thought so... so I decided to change it and modify the Skeinforge plugins smiling smiley Here goes the first version, seems to be okay, but didn't test it yet too much, just browsed the generated g-codes.

The change in Fill plugin is to mark layers as solid in temporary penultimate gcode file - by introducing special isSolid tag.
The change in Speed plugin detects the solid layer and modifies the speed rates exactly the same as perimeters/briding/1st layer etc.

Two new Speed plugin settings are introduced:
  • Solid Layer Perimeter Multiplier (ratio)
  • Solid Layer Infill Multiplier (ratio)

Both flow are feed rates are changed, it's a general speed ratio settings. I always used feed rate = flow rate for all other settings anyway.

New rules do NOT apply to first layer (base layer) - it caused misunderstandings for me smiling smiley So base layer settings are for base layer only, and solid layers are for other solid layers (depends on solid thickness setting in Skeinforge)

I advise setting perimeter multiplier as 1 and Infill Multiplier as you wish, eg 0.5.

Enjoy! Feedback welcome smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 12:24PM by acc.
Attachments:
open | download - fill.py (71.3 KB)
open | download - speed.py (18.3 KB)
November 14, 2012 01:44AM
It would be nice if you added the option to speed loops was the perimeter feedrate? It need for change code 'fill.py' for add for loops isLoop tag? And in speed.py for that tag set speed as perimeter feedrate.
November 14, 2012 02:39AM
So you are doing your perimeter twice as fast as the infill, may I ask why ?

I tend to do the infill faster usually, as even if it has defects due to high speed it doesn't impact the part surface finish.

November 14, 2012 03:58AM
Not. I'm set perimeter feedrate 0.5. It double slow as the infill, but loops stay with infill fast speed and poor accuracy on edges.
acc
November 14, 2012 05:45AM
DeuxVis - do you refer to my post or radus' ? If mine, let me explain. I recommend setting perimeter ratio as 1, because perimeters are already slowed down by another settings ("regular" perimeter ratio settings). Slowing it down even more at detected "as solid" layers would probably be visible when you look at finished object - these layers will have perimeters printed at other speed then the rest of the object. Maybe I should remove this option in order not to confuse... I already use '1' only smiling smiley Just playing with infill slowdown...

radus - I didn't figure it out yet, no time for it. But I would also like to have loop speed same as perimeter speed, not as infill speed. Maybe I'll have some time in the future to check it out.

At the time being I think there is still some place to improve my patch. Let's imagine to cubes side by side, one lower and one higher. Currently I think that only first layers and last layers will be marked as solid and therefore detected by my plugin. However, if you visualise the gcodes, look at the layer when lower cube ends. It has solid infill (100%) and the part of higher cube is normal infill. I'd like to have this detected as solid (and preferably slowed down).
November 14, 2012 09:21AM
Ah ok thanks for the clarification acc, didn't get it was another perimeter ratio that you added.

By the way, anyone is willing to calculate skeinforge's ratio of ratios over real number settings ? I'd bet it's quite high, enrique sure love ratios smiling smiley

February 02, 2013 05:25AM
Hello.

My version speed.py where loops and skirt speed same as perimeter speed.
Also better brim where loops goes outer to inner diameter.
Attachments:
open | download - speed.py (18.3 KB)
open | download - fill.py (71.3 KB)
open | download - skirt.py (17 KB)
February 02, 2013 01:50PM
Added solid tag for layers with intersections.
And solid layer speed is now same as perimeter.
Attachments:
open | download - fill.py (71.5 KB)
open | download - speed.py (18 KB)
February 02, 2013 04:35PM
Added isIntersection tag for speed same as bridge speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 04:36PM by radus.
Attachments:
open | download - infillspeed.png (68.2 KB)
open | download - bridgespeed.png (73.2 KB)
open | download - fill.py (71.8 KB)
open | download - speed.py (18.6 KB)
acc
February 05, 2013 01:30AM
radus, what is intersection? From the second picture it looks for me the same as bridge (it covers the hole under it).... What is the difference, could you please explain?

BTW - what is the software you use to analyze this gcode and give us the screenshots ?
February 06, 2013 01:04AM
Yes it's bridge but default SF can't detect this and not change speed for that section. And i'm fixed this.
software for gcode is online [hobbydev.ru]
acc
February 06, 2013 12:34PM
OK, I see.

Back to original topic - I don't use these settings anymore... In my objects there were too many solid layers during the print which slowed my printings quite a lot. My goal was to have just a seperate setting for top surfaces and I wasn't happy with the modification.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login