Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jitter

Posted by Flyer2 
Jitter
September 09, 2012 03:31PM
Hi
I can't seem to get jitter to work. Have it activated and set at the highest setting (2.5 if I remember right) but every layer starts at the same spot.
I'm printing a hollow globe- would that have anything to do with it?
Thanks
Rick
Re: Jitter
September 10, 2012 05:40AM
Enter a much larger value manually. (watch the point... not a comma)
2.5 means: 2.5 x your perimeter width. So assuming a height of 0.5mm and HWRatio of 1.5 thats 1.75mm thats hardly noticeable espec ially if You have bad retraction and bad clip settings.

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
September 10, 2012 03:48PM
If you think that 2.5 is the highest setting because the little arrow won't make the number go higher, that is an issue with Skeinforge. The arrows will only allow you to change within the "default" value range, but this range is not always ideal. Just type in a larger number. Something like 20 or higher for Jitter.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 14, 2012 07:44AM
I've actually tried larger numbers with no success. However, I am printing thin wall so the values probably haven't been large enough. I'll try something huge.
Thanks forth suggestions.
September 14, 2012 10:35AM
printing thin walls or filled objects has nothing to do with that... It is about Your extrusion width....

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
October 16, 2012 11:42PM
I'm disappointed with the jitter plugin. Right now I'm using a value like 25 or 30, and the starting points are not in a straight line, but they are not random either. When I print enough layers, an obvious pattern emerges - no less objectionable than the line you get from not using jitter at all. It would be nice if there was true randomness to the starting point
October 17, 2012 03:07AM
Dont be disappointed smiling smiley
If You are setting jitter to 25 you basically have about 25 values to juggle with so You will sooner or later recognise a pattern smiling smiley
No really jitter is definitely not working as a way to hide the seam but to increase the stability of the part, (especially with bad (mainly clip and dwindle) settings..)
I currently print with (SFACT) jitter: 3, dwindle (from top: 1/ 0.05/ 5/ 2.0) , Clip disabled, and retraction set to 1mm.
Result: With PLA I have no ooze, no ridge nor open ends, no stringing.

Everyone should dial in his dwindle settings..

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
October 18, 2012 12:14AM
Thanks for the info. I thought the purpose of jitter was to disguise the slight bulge I get at each layer start. Based on studying the various plugins you mention above, it seemed to me that the magic I was looking for was somewhere in the clip plugin. You say you have it disabled, but it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

The problem Is that clip seemed to have no effect. I still see the pattern of the perimeter starting point on each layer. I thought clip would help because it wouldn't run the end of the perimeter into the beginning. Maybe dwindle settings would help. I turned it on, but the meaning of the parameters is hard to understand. But it makes sense that the problem could be from a small bit of ooze as the head travels to the starting point. Dwindle, if I understand it, seems designed to help with this.
October 18, 2012 02:21AM
I have made a post about the dwindle settings..

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login