Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SkeinGUI - a simple Skeinforge 50 frontend

Posted by acc 
acc
SkeinGUI - a simple Skeinforge 50 frontend
August 28, 2012 08:02AM
Hi guys,

I've created a simple Skeinforge GUI app to the settings I use the most. Be warned - it's not meant to replace Skeinforge nor Cura. It's just a life-simplifying tool smiling smiley

Released on https://github.com/acc-/SkeinGUI
Sources included and Linux/Windows binaries as well.

The main screen looks like this:

Hope you like it winking smiley

--
acc
Re: SkeinGUI - a simple Skeinforge 50 frontend
October 12, 2012 01:10PM
Looks great! you should contact the author of Skeinforge and offer your help to clean up his gui mess! smiling smiley
October 12, 2012 03:07PM
thecrazy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks great! you should contact the author of
> Skeinforge and offer your help to clean up his gui
> mess! smiling smiley

GUI mess… Enrique makes a very complex slicing software, this complexity can't bring to a simple interface… I don't speak english very well but your word "mess" seems not to take into consideration the difficulty of the task… another thing: when you write software it's another world to write a GUI, it's not necessarily your first task. We have, Skeinforge don't, to dive into Skeinforge and slicing complexity, it can't be rendered simple!

François
October 12, 2012 10:28PM
It wasn't meant as an insult to the author. However complex the software is (I know it is) there are ways to organise, name, sort things etc... in a way that makes more sense. Currently the gui is enough of a "mess" or "unpolished" whatever expression you like, that someone took time to make another gui for it. This is not only my opinion, I have read multiple times how complicated and unfriendly others find Skeinforge's interface.

I know the gui is probably not his priority and that's perfectly fine. He's busy making a better slicer software and that's awesome. I'm sure his plate is full as it is and that Is why I suggested ACC may be able to help in that area.

Il y a plein de logiciels hyper complexes qui sont mieux organisé, a coté de 3dsmax, blender, maya et meme la suite office Skeinforge est plustot simple (sans vouloir diminuer le travail de Enrique). Le seul point est que cest dificile de se retrouver dans ce logiciel. Déjà, le gui de acc se présente mieux.

You may want to check this out:
[groups.google.com]

Also

[github.com] (scroll down to to the readme and read the first paragraph)

and there are others if you take time with google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 10:34PM by thecrazy.
October 13, 2012 04:27AM
> It wasn't meant as an insult to the author.

okay!… smiling smiley

I think it's an illusion to make a simple GUI for a complex software. You can do that only if you take decisions (by setting parameters) that you don't give the user the possibility to take. Skeinforge versions comes from a recursive process, where real world is involved, how the reprap machine really does what you imagine. Enrique is always reorganizing Skeinforge with better sense, by transfering parameters from one plugin to another, by renaming some settings. Successive better senses can't be seen before the reprap use into the real world. For me, the common opinion of Skeinforge difficulty or awful interface actually comes from slicing difficulty…

> Le seul point est que cest dificile de se retrouver dans ce logiciel

thanks for the translation! no, for me it's difficult to find oneself ("se retrouver"?) into slicing, not into Skeinforge…

François
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login