Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New type of Laser enables scalable power, small spot, low volume cost

Posted by John Joseph 
New type of Laser enables scalable power, small spot, low volume cost
May 25, 2014 11:54PM
I have invented a new kind of laser that arrays many lasers into a small round spot size which has high brightness (~ power/spot area). This will allow very high energy states at unusually high peak power in a very small spot size. Current designed chips exhibit ~1 W avg power and can be pulsed to 20Ws spot size ~0.2mm without external lens or corrective optics. The form factor of the chip is ~1mm x 1mm and its Avg power can be (but does not have to be) up to and greater than 5W, but can reach 100s Ws peak power in short pulses with new designs. This should be perfect for very fast and high resolution systems where the cost of the laser brings down the cost of a superior system and overcomes competition. Wavelength is ~1um NIR. Many material issues should be able to be overcome by power.

The company is focused on other applications and that will make it difficult to get samples to people in this field. I think really only people trying to get this into a prototype or production model will be able to get these, but maybe a few of you can order enough to get them for evaluation.

I will need to know if you need a driver (pulsed power supply) for the laser also. I believe there are small pulsed power supplies for a few hundred dollars, and a package could be made for the pair. Is any one interested in getting this into a prototype SLS? I would like to hear from someone that would want to partner for a project on kickstarter or something as funds will need to be available for an initial order.

If you request information on the lasers from the website " www.trilumina.com" the form will ask how you heard about them - please respond "SLS applications from John Joseph"

Thanks, John Joseph
TriLumina.com
VP Product Development
TriLumina
480-652-0717
Re: New type of Laser enables scalable power, small spot, low volume cost
May 26, 2014 03:55PM
I am currently using 1.75W blue Jtech SSD laser
for engraving / cutting on Shapeoko 2
Would like to experiment with sintering small layers of PLA , ABS

Your product sounds really good but probably way out in price.

What types of industrial uses are buying your product

Will we ever be able to get one in the $x00 range?

confused smiley
Re: New type of Laser enables scalable power, small spot, low volume cost
June 19, 2014 05:28AM
Yes- Probably a few hundred dollars ($200) will work for now. What type of packaging can you use? A To46 can? what does the old package look like?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login