Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa mendel plastic parts help with scale print please.

Posted by terramir 
prusa mendel plastic parts help with scale print please.
January 02, 2012 04:00AM
I mean on paper here well some of the parts I would probably need slices , like the motor mounts. my biggest problem is that no matter how I try I can't figure out neither in blender nor in freecad or openscad how to make these give me printable views preferably slices to scale every so and so often, hence I cannot start replicating the first time.
Eventually I will just reprint the parts and then later maybe design my own, but first I need to make these parts once so I can then make the first set myself.
cause that like everything else is a money issue for me. thinking about 5mm slices glued together for most parts and a bit worked on. I know some of the parts might not last too long, but I'm hoping it will get me through the first printing cycle, and yes I'm buying the extruder right up front, because that is just not worth making out of wood. if I had technical drawings of all the part's I would be able to do it but without that I'm screwed. and I can't read the stl files and figure it out.
I just won't have the money to spend on buying a kit of plastic parts. heck most of the stuff I'll be making myself if possible. that includes the electronics (sans the stepper drivers) sad to say those I cannot make myself. wish I could but smd soldering is not my cup of tea. And I've tried in the past trust me.
Help I have very little money I just need help printing these suckers so I can start making them one layer at a time.
terramir
Re: prusa mendel plastic parts help with scale print please.
January 02, 2012 04:27AM
You can slice the parts in openscad using the projection() operation and export DXFs. You don't need to use the STLs, use can use the openscad source files. It should work with an STL but openscad has problems importing some of them, even ones it made itself.

The cost of the plastic parts is only a small part of the total machine so you won't save a lot of money and it will be a lot of work.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: prusa mendel plastic parts help with scale print please.
January 03, 2012 02:58AM
tthe sets are quite a bit of cost just like the finished electronics, but if you can solder the electronics yourself, and choose the simplest design (gen7) and have a bunch of electronic parts lying around you can go much cheaper. Also will be building my own hotend loosly build on several peoples designs, because I find several things I need to change for money and other reasons. total cost I think I'll spend like 250 bucks. every penny counts in my situation and it's like at least 300% cheaper to do wood now and plastic later on those parts, because the actually printing cost is minuscule, and well the one thing I have more than anything else is time (I'm under-employed).

terramir
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login