Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kapton Taped Hot-End Heat Sensor?

Posted by DaHai8 
Kapton Taped Hot-End Heat Sensor?
September 19, 2016 05:40AM
I was attempting to convert my MK8 system to a E3D V6 Boden System (failed due to crappy E3D throat), and noticed that my old MK8 heat block had Kapton tapped around the heat sensor tip!
Yes, the tip that fits inside the heat block was wrapped in Kapton tape...
Any ideas why?
The only thing I can think of is that it quieted the heat reading so it appears to not fluctuate as much. Thus making it look like a better hot end than it actually is.
Thoughts?
Re: Kapton Taped Hot-End Heat Sensor?
November 27, 2016 06:52PM
the mk8 is a functional extruder easy to rebuild the aluminum block has Kapton tape to hold thermistor and heater close to the nozzle, get rid of the tape and use high temp silicone to hold thermistor in place use heat sink grease on cartridge heater and make it tight first remove nozzle may need to heat remove heater and thermistor then unthread aluminum block and threaded teflon throat make sure its clear not plugged then thread it back in without the nut until it stops you can coat its threads with silicone once its up as far as it goes thread the nut on tight. the aluminum block is now threaded on to a point that when its square you can tighten the nozzle and it will keep the block tight this way the nozzle is up to the threaded throat without a gap then silicone thermistor in let it dry and connect wires no Kapton ever needed again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login