Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 sgrabber and rework parts

Posted by NathanB 
i3 sgrabber and rework parts
June 21, 2016 02:00PM
Hi-

I'm trying to lasercut my own frame using sgrabber's parts (github) (thingiverse)

My issue is that I want to use the i3 rework printed parts and I'm having some difficulty trying to determine what diameter and length of smooth & threaded rods to buy.
SGrabber lists to just follow the normal i3 box frame assembly - and I've heard that others have done it with rework'ed parts. However I'm not finding any specifics on what rods to get. The smooth/threaded rods are different between the rework and original i3 designs...

I'm guessing that I should get the rework rods - but I would just like to get some feedback from people who would know and might have built one of these variants before.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance-
Re: i3 sgrabber and rework parts
June 22, 2016 03:40AM
The rework uses all M10 threaded for the frame. If you get 2x 1 meter lengths of M10 threaded you will have enough for rework with the braces.
For M8 smooth rod 2x 370mm for x-axis, 2x 360mm for y-axis (some smooth rod kits off ebay have 2x 350mm), 2x 320mm for z-axis
[www.ebay.ca]

I did an Instructable on scratch building a "vanilla" i3 printer which uses M8 and M10 threaded for the chassis, but has the same dimensions for smooth rods
[www.instructables.com]

I am currently doing a new Instructable on a rework build, but it won't be finished for a couple of weeks

Cheers
Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
June 22, 2016 04:13AM
Thanks Steve.

I already looked up the rod sizes for vanilla i3 and reworked i3. I guess I was asking more for anyone's personal experience in if the sgrabber frame files needed to be modified for the larger threaded rod in the rework build - also if, overall, there weren't other size changes necessitated by using the rework parts (like a change in the lengths of the rod used).

I do appreciate the help, but I can (and have) researched this on the wiki quite extensively prior to my post and already have the information on vanilla Reprap frame rod sizes as well as this information on the rework frame (obviously if I used reworked plastic parts, the rod diameters would have to match to work).

As an aside, thanks for making an instructable on this. It'll get more normal people to see that you can actually do this. (About 6 years ago I built one of the reprap variants at the time. Lots of fun, informative, and empowering.)

(Edited to fix autocorrect.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 04:15AM by NathanB.
June 27, 2016 08:03PM
I have some dxf files of the modified braces we used for our rework builds, and also a bed that uses 4 LM8UU's - for laser cutting
I'll find them and post them here if you like

Steve
June 27, 2016 08:23PM
Steve,
That would be really helpful - especially the bed utilizing the LM8UU bearings. Thanks!!
July 02, 2016 12:26PM
Here is the DXF of the Y bed using 4 LM8UU's
Attachments:
open | download - 4_Bearing_Y_Axis_Bed.dxf (339.6 KB)
July 02, 2016 01:08PM
Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login