Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stepper and end stop problems prusa i3

Posted by Randomhero 
stepper and end stop problems prusa i3
March 10, 2016 01:02PM
Ive been working at this for two days searching all the forums adjusting setting and staring at code. the problem is i can get all of my axis to move in .1 increment but when i hit 10 they do not move using pronterface the home functions do not function. i said screw it and just threw a gcode in and try to print. bed and hot end heat then motors just wine and do not move. I can usually figure these issues out on my own but with this i am at a loss and really need some help

I am using a adruino mega boards, ramps 1.4 and a488 stepper drivers. My steppers are (these are the steppers i am using) nema 17 and are 1.8 deg step i have them wired red / blue, yellow / brown. my z axis limit is on the left, x on the right, and y on the front on the same side as the stepper

attached is my config text file.
Attachments:
open | download - prusa config.txt (41.2 KB)
Re: stepper and end stop problems prusa i3
March 10, 2016 05:44PM
Get the endstops working first, as if they are wrong they interfere with normal movement

Firstly M119 is your friend (http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M119:_Get_Endstop_Status)

This will display the endstops status as the controller sees it

test each of your endstops. move axis by hand so that no endstops are being touched.
Check with sending a M119 to the printer, all endstops should be "open"
Hold down one endstop, while holding it down send annother M119, the endstop your holding down should say triggered
Repeat with all endstops.

Also its important to correctly identify what endstops you have on your machine

On X axis, if a endstop is on the left its a min endstop, if its on the right its a max endstop
On Y axis, if a endstop is on the back its a min endstop, it its at the front its a max endstop
On Z axis, if the endstop at at the bed its a min endstop, if it at the top its a max endstop

Ramps boards have different plugs for min and max endstops, make sure this is correct.

Then setup your firmware homing directions. and check you can home the axis. (if it moves in the wrong direction and homing direction is correct, you direction of travel is backwards and you need to invert it)

I also suspect you may not have micro stepping jumpers installed under the stepper driver modules, should be 3 jumpers installed under each module

If you still cant move, see [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 05:56PM by Dust.
March 10, 2016 06:17PM
Also, you may not be able to trust that the motors are wired up the same based off of the wire colors.

Use a multimeter to test for continuity
Whichever way you look at the connector, the outer wire should show continuity with the wire next to it and no others
Eg, Pin1 1 & 2, and Pin 3 and 4

http://reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_wiring
March 11, 2016 12:49AM
My homing problem was solved by the checking the wiring and finally understanding min and max. I got my homing feature to work and with a lot of, messing around with the configuration they all work and home great. I also increased the voltage on my z axis to get them to function (without going into a screaming panic). My z steppers was wired backwards as well.

My biggest issue was something I'd never read in the guides. There are a 3 jumpers that are supposed to go under the stepper drivers and once I realized that with a lot ofI installed them and wouldn't you know it. All the crazy behaviour from my steppers stopped and now they move flawlessly.

Thank you Dust and FA-MAS my first print is new endstops and I couldn't have done it without your help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login