Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electron Prusa i3 E-Motor not moving filament

Posted by StoneColdLoki 
Electron Prusa i3 E-Motor not moving filament
October 27, 2015 04:17PM
I'm having a problem with my filament not extruding. After calibrating everything, the machine runs fine. The wires are all connected properly, the bed's level, the heating is good, but the E-Motor does not seem to be in contact with the filament because after I heat up the nozzle and confirm that the filament is fed through the right hole, I step the E-Motor 1mm and it whirs but no filament comes out at that rate. I've tried holding the top piece up where the stepper is tight against the filament, but there is still no result. I assembled it just as the instructions said (albeit not being the most helpful.)

If anyone has a similar problem or knows how to fix it, please reply. This is the only thing preventing me from getting a successful print.
Re: Electron Prusa i3 E-Motor not moving filament
November 02, 2015 06:06AM
Hi,

You want to check first the nozzle is not clogged.
Raise the Z axis to keep an eye on the whole the hotend.
Heat the hotend a the proper temperature and leave it there for 15 minutes.
Then push the filament by hand.
It should runs into the hotend with no effort,
and a straight extruded filament must flow out.
If you need to push any hard on the hotend, or you can't push any more,
your hotend is clogged or jammed because not cooled properly.
Remove quickly the filament and check it out.
The soft part of the filament must be short, not longer than the heating block dimension.
If the soft part is long, or you get a mostly liquid thing, it's jammed. Check out hotend cooling.
If the flow is curly or too thin, your hotend is clogged.
If it's clogged, clean it up if you can or replace it.

If everything above is ok or solved, it should work or it's now a feeder problem.
You want the drivers output power to be set properly,
or the motor won't have enough power and/or can overheat.
Check this out first.
Then, with the extruder motor unpowered, try to run some filament by turning its axis by hand.
At the input let the filament slide between two of your fingers, and turn the gear with your other hand.
You should feel if the filament is properly driven. If not, check the gear for any residues,
and chek if the filament is properly pushed on the gear.
The gear should lightly mark on the filament to drive it properly.

If everything above is ok or solved, it should work or it's now a connexion problem. Check it out.

Good luck, calibration may take some time.

++JM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login