Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRapPro Mono Mendel hotend problems

Posted by djumaka 
RepRapPro Mono Mendel hotend problems
September 18, 2015 06:08AM
Hi all,
I've built a RepRapPro mono Mendel and bought the hotend form their site after an unsuccessful J's hontend mount. The hontend is a 0.5 nozzle with a big heatsing and a fan mounted over it (https://reprappro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/RRP-MEN-hot-end-build-21.jpg) .This is mounted on the cartirdge and then another second fan is pointed at the extrusion point to cool the material.
The problem is that due to the intensive fan cooling of the heatsink, the temperature fluctuation is enormous. If I set it 185 for PLA, it gets between 179 and 205, which is unbearable and I think I clogged the nozzle, as it stopped extruding all the time.
I either have to slow down the fan, or somehow fix the heater of the hotend work normally for a stable temperature.

My question is what should I do? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Boyan.
Re: RepRapPro Mono Mendel hotend problems
September 18, 2015 10:56AM
There is something wrong, Ive got a rrp mendel 3 tri colour and have two heatsinks and 4 fans, but my temperature control is perfectly stable.

Is this machine a mendel3 with the duet controller or older?

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 18, 2015 04:23PM
It's actually a prusa mendel with the reprappro mendel X cartridge and hotend/extruder and a melzi board. What do you mean the duet controller? It's a single-extruder/single board one, if this is you ask.
September 18, 2015 06:31PM
The duet is the new controler that replaces the melzi it may be that the duet is better at driving the hot end, you probably should ask someone who knows the difference between the melzi and duet fired machines

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 20, 2015 01:54PM
I have the same mono mendel from RRP and I can't remember that the temp was fluctuating like that. The cooling fan on the backside shouldn't be on all the time either, check your settings in the slicer software about cooling.

I'n waiting for a new heater for my hotend so I can't check how much my temp varies right now but I'll check once I get it!
September 20, 2015 09:52PM
Does the Melzi have a PID controller for the hot end, could be that it just needs tuning, if you reduce the I term a little then you should see that it takes a little longer to get to temp, but should be more stable.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 21, 2015 02:16AM
bgkdavis
Does the Melzi have a PID controller for the hot end, could be that it just needs tuning, if you reduce the I term a little then you should see that it takes a little longer to get to temp, but should be more stable.

I think it does, or atleast it's built into the firmware so running a "M303 C8 S175" will apparently tune the PID and give the correct values to enter into the firmware. (src: [forums.reprap.org])
September 21, 2015 02:36AM
Well, it sounds like the PID tune is seriously out of whack, the fact that the OP can get to 205 with a 185 setpoint confirms there is plenty of power in the system to handle the fans, but the lack of stability in temp would be explainable by a poorly tuned PID.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 21, 2015 08:51AM
What Melzi board do you have? If you have one based on the early, Melzi V1, including the 'Melzi 1.0/2.0 eBay Hybrid', these are well known for inaccurate temperature response. See: [reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
September 22, 2015 10:24AM
Assuming the board has similar issues like the Gen6 boards a closer look at C9 might help.
It is a 4.7µF electrolytic capacitor.
I would replace it with a 100nF ceramic cap and see if it helps.
Also double check all ground connections as these boards love to have troubles with it.
Might also help to check the voltages on the 5V regulator with n oscilloscope to be sure there is not already something dirty going into the supply chain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login