Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing on Aluminum Screen - Thoughts?

Posted by pmzielinski 
Printing on Aluminum Screen - Thoughts?
June 12, 2015 12:04PM
Has anyone tried to print on a piece of aluminum storm window screen? Sort of like a permanent raft? my thought is it would give texture and possibly eliminate the need for heating the bed?
I plan to get a piece this weekend and give it a try. I'll let you all know what I find out.
Re: Printing on Aluminum Screen - Thoughts?
June 12, 2015 12:17PM
How will you get the printed part to release from the screen? I think it will work, but you'll have to figure out how to keep the screen flat even when the plastic is shrinking and pulling on the wires. I think you're going to have to replace the screen with every print.

You can print on unheated PIR foam. I've done it with ABS and it works fine, but haven't tried it with any other material.
Re: Printing on Aluminum Screen - Thoughts?
June 13, 2015 01:54AM
You've hit on exactly the issues I encountered with hand-coating the aluminum. It's basically impossible to lay down a flawless coat. I eventually decided it wasn't worth my time and switched to using beautifully pre-coated sheets manufactured in a controlled environment.

www . horizonsisg . com/ sells a sample pack of their product in the 8.5x11". Order it, give it a try, and you'll never go back to hand coating again Smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login