Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 kit or source partd

Posted by czindrick 
i3 kit or source partd
March 13, 2015 10:46PM
I am new to the world of 3d printing. Rather than spending a ton of money on a hobby I am new to I would rather go DIY. Now with all the options out there is it better to go with a kit or source the parts individually?

I am also curious how similar the kits that are sold on eBay or aliexpress compared to the more expensive kits around the 700 dollar range...would I really lose anything beneficial?
Re: i3 kit or source partd
March 14, 2015 06:52PM
For me it was a matter of convenience. I bought a complete kit, A Wilson ts, for $480 from mjrice on eBay.

I found that buying the bom piecemeal would cost just as much as a quality kit.

If considering a kit:
1. Buy from a reputable vendor.
2. Ensure the parts are quality
3. Ensure the support is good

Don't:
1. Buy the cheapest without due diligence.
2. Forget to factor in shipping time, not just the initial time but for replacement parts.

There is nothing worse than buying a kit then waiting 3-4 weeks for it to show up.

Mine was delivered in 3 work days.
March 17, 2015 07:04PM
I'm really new to all this so I went with a kit. I think you can get a better price sourcing the parts but it all comes down to how much risk you are willing to take on. I was willing to deal with cheap parts but not incompatibility. Not to mention that kits are really convenient.

I got the Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro and it is really cheap (both cost and quality). I really don't mind the issues that came with it and was rather surprised with how well it's printing. I paid $360 (us) from ebay via slow boat from china. Personally I was more interested in getting all the needed parts and their compatibility then the quality said parts. I like tinkering so cheap doesn't bother me. I did some research on the extruder/hot end as that was the one part I was worried about.

For $360 I got better then I was expecting as it really did come with everything including the glass for the hotbed.

Good luck!
March 17, 2015 11:09PM
Buying a 3d printer kit on eBay or AliExpress is a gamble, really, and often results in a big disappointment. I suggest you consider bassnfool's suggestion if you live in the US, the Wilson kit is sold by its designer, Marty Rice, and you get a quality kit with great support for a very good price.

If you live in Europe there are other options, but again always try to buy from a reputable seller.
March 18, 2015 10:45PM
I am from US. I have been trying to source parts from local businesses. I have been looking at the option of a i3 rework. I recently found out I have a university with a 3d printer by me,just need access. Another thing is I guess if I go with a kit the main items are for sure there. But the option of printing my own parts and CNC my own frame.
Perhaps my best bet would to be start off with a kit and upgrade?
I am a DIYer at heart so I feel that sourcing my own parts would make me feel more accomplished. But I am willing to compromise just am nervous of quality control. I feel like I have answered my own questions.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am moving to Minnesota so if any locals wouldn't mind sharing the experience that would be great.
March 20, 2015 05:34PM
AndrewBCN
Buying a 3d printer kit on eBay or AliExpress is a gamble, really, and often results in a big disappointment. I suggest you consider bassnfool's suggestion if you live in the US, the Wilson kit is sold by its designer, Marty Rice, and you get a quality kit with great support for a very good price.

If you live in Europe there are other options, but again always try to buy from a reputable seller.

I totally agree, the cheapy china kits are a gamble. I was willing to gamble and so far I am happy but I have read about many people that are not. Returning and support are nearly nonexistent. Self sourcing or getting the kit from a reputable source is the way to go. In my experience ( as limited as it is ) self sourcing is not a huge saving over the china kits but can be over the more expensive kits especially if you have some way to get parts at a discount.

My thought on this as I finish up building both a kit ( Geeetech i3 prusa ) and a self sourced printer; I really only see a major differences in the quality of the electronics, motors and power supply. As these are the majority of the cost that should not be a big surprise. There is a difference in the other parts but to a lesser extent. In the long run I will most likely spend a little less then one of the quality kits but, with upgrades, not a lot.

Good luck
March 21, 2015 10:44AM
In the US unquestionably Marty's kits are the best value for the money, by far. I understand you prefer to source your own parts but compared to the components that I know Marty is shipping with his kits, you are not likely to source anything of better quality, in fact you could spend more money and end up with lesser quality components...

That or a Makerfarm i3v but these are more expensive and kind of "lock you in", Marty's kits are much more open to modifications and improvements.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login