Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what type of extruder for Prusa i3 ???confused smiley

Posted by tolisn 
what type of extruder for Prusa i3 ???confused smiley
February 25, 2015 03:14PM
Hi fellow 3Ders
I building my first 3D printer and decided to go with the prusa i3 single frame.
I'm trying to do my homework while waiting for the frame kit to come in.
Trying to select an extruder is very confusing so I'd though I should ask the pros, you guys.

I'd like an extruder the will permit the easy install and removal of the filament and that does not have a lot of operation problems.
and suggestions about the matter or can someone share a site that has a comparison about the different types avaialbe for the prusa i3, there pros and cons, the problems that I will come across.

Am I asking to much?

thanks for your time
Re: what type of extruder for Prusa i3 ???confused smiley
February 27, 2015 05:43PM
Hi,
You are asking for a lot but it's definitely not too much! grinning smiley

OK, extruders for the Prusa i3: complicated subject.

The "classic" choice is a Greg's Wade extruder, this is a relatively old and very much debugged design that will almost always give good results. You can find plenty of STLs to print on Thingiverse. Requires a hobbed bolt, three 608ZZ bearings, and a JHead or E3D hotend or Budaschnozzle hotend i.e. it's a relatively flexible design.

Newer designs are of the direct-drive type i.e. the stepper directly drives the gear that pushes the filament into the hotend. Take a look for example at Marty Rice's design, also on Thingiverse.

Direct-drive designs can have their shortcomings too but have in general a shorter and more exposed path between the gear and the hotend, so in theory they should be easier to disassemble if the filament jams or something like that. In practice I have found that both types of extruder are a PITA to disassemble and reassemble and both give equivalent quality prints. YMMV.

Where the geared extruders have a real advantage is that they don't necessarily require a stepper with a ton of torque, because the gears help a lot with that. Direct-drive extruders seem to be very popular with Bowden-type setups and require strong steppers.

If you have not already bought a frame I suggest you take a look at the P3Steel, a Prusa i3 variant that improves on various aspects of the Prusa i3 single frame.

Good luck with your RepRap build,
Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 07:11AM by AndrewBCN.
February 28, 2015 03:15AM
I have a gregs wade v5 extruder and I am thinking of installing a E3D V6 all metal hotend. Is this a good combination?
February 28, 2015 07:17AM
tolisn
I have a gregs wade v5 extruder and I am thinking of installing a E3D V6 all metal hotend. Is this a good combination?
Definitely yes, it's a good combination and quite popular too... and it's practically the same combination I have on my first P3Steel!
Make sure you install a proper cooling system for the E3D hotend and also a layer fan if printing PLA.
For the layer fan, take a look at this: [www.thingiverse.com]
February 28, 2015 08:27AM
Take a look at the wilson ts. It is based on the prusa i3 but uses extruded aluminum for the frame. I just ordered a kit from the designer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login