Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can I buy an extruder fan mount for an i2

Posted by jsluke 
Where can I buy an extruder fan mount for an i2
February 23, 2015 04:38PM
I have been really struggling to commission my Prusa Mendel i2.

The problem is that the hot ends keep clogging - I've tried both the JHead and an all metal hot end.

After a lot of research, I believe the problem is that my printer does not have a fan to cool the extruder. The filament passing through the extruder is getting hot and clogging.

My original parts kit did not include a mount. I've contacted the seller of the parts kit to ask if they can help.

I've seen a number of mounts on thingverse .... but as my printer isn't working I can't print any of them!!!!

Any ideas where I can buy a mount?

Thanks.

James.
Re: Where can I buy an extruder fan mount for an i2
February 23, 2015 05:00PM
Where are you from, and which stl file do need printed?
Maybe someone on the forum can print it, and sent it to you.
February 23, 2015 06:40PM
I'm in the UK on the Isle of Wight.

This is the mount I was considering => [www.thingiverse.com]

I'd also be interested to know if my thinking is correct - is this a common problem. The original parts kit I purchased didn't mention an extruder fan and I don't remember seeing anything about it in the assembly instructions. However, I have found that my extruders clog very easily and this is the only reason I can think of. I've tried different filaments, heating temperatures, cleaning the filaments, etc, etc. I've even tried different extruders (J-Head and all metal).

Am I right in thinking that the cooling of the extruder (or rather the lack of cooling) is the problem?

Thanks.

James.
February 24, 2015 04:00AM
something not right, a Jhead will print for hours at least 4 "enough to print that part." before issues of heat creep.

The filament passing through the extruder is getting hot and clogging.
if filament getting hot in the peek on start up or within 20 min of starting then I check the thermistor and setting.

check the retraction setting in your slicer program.
February 24, 2015 07:58AM
Very many thanks for this post ... it's confirming what others are telling me in that it is unlikely to be caused by heat creep. Interestingly, I printed a whole load of test prints with the JHead before the problem started. At that time I was using pronterface to generate the GCode but in a bid to improve the quality I switched to SLICR. It was at that point that I started having trouble. I only realised that correlation late last night.

I will check the retraction settings in Slicer - is there anything else I should check?

I'm happy with the thermistor as I have checked the temperatures using a separate thermometer ... I have also increased the temperatures incrementally to the point where the filament was sizzling (only for a couple of seconds) and that happened at the expected temperature.

Thanks.

James.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login