Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very strange behaviour

Posted by regpye 
Very strange behaviour
February 19, 2015 07:02AM
This one has me beat.
I have built a number of i3 machines and all of mine are working fine, no problems.
A friend of mine built one too, same as what I build.
He has been using it for a few months and he is really addicted now to 3D printing (like most of us here ha..ha..)
So far he has put about 6 spools of filament through the machine with very few problems, only minor things that you always find when setting up a new machine.
Just recently he came to me for help as he didn't know what was going on with his printer.
I went to have a look and watched as it went through the motions of homing, auto bed levelling and then started to print.
The homing worked fine, the auto bed levelling also worked fine, but when the print started the Z axis moved upwards about 15mm and then went through the motions of doing a print in mid air, filament coming out, but way off the bed.
I thought he must have the Z offset wrong, so I helped him re-calibrate it again, same way I do all of mine that always works.
I used my configuration files just in case he had corrupted something in his, in fact I even used my computer and software to do it all.
When we tested, the same thing happened, seems strange.
I tested to see if the endstops were all working properly and they were. The Z probe is working properly too.
Not sure what to advise him now because I have never seen this happen before.
Any ideas out there we can try before I set-up another RAMPS board for him to try out instead??

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Very strange behaviour
February 19, 2015 09:03AM
Have you checked the gcode of the file to be printed? I don't know why Cura makes for my printer: G1 Z15.0 F7800 ;move the platform down 15mm. I don' have a moving platform (wrong comment)? It's just a move up... I don't know how your Z probe works, but perhaps...the problem is in the gcode start?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 09:07AM by Plasteroid.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
Re: Very strange behaviour
February 19, 2015 09:30AM
Plasteroid
Have you checked the gcode of the file to be printed? I don't know why Cura makes for my printer: G1 Z15.0 F7800 ;move the platform down 15mm. I don' have a moving platform (wrong comment)? It's just a move up... I don't know how your Z probe works, but perhaps...the problem is in the gcode start?

The same files have been printed before without any problem. This particular problem came about suddenly, and files that printed previously cannot be printed now.
Strange, I really don't understand what could have happened.
I have checked his offset for the Z axis and it is set right, but when printing it is about 15mm above the bed

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login