Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Variant

Posted by sarf2k4 
Prusa Variant
February 11, 2015 04:34PM
Hi, I'm confused with several Prusa variants; i3, i3 rework, mini i3, i3 haephestos, single frame, box frame and some other. I need a better comparison between the famous prusa variants out there and if any admin sees this, probably it is better to update the wiki page or add model variant comparison page (just my suggestion =D).

Is there any real differences between those famous variants and their appearances?

Sorry if this has been question before, I am still new in 3d printers variant and planning to get this so called box frame (the one with support plates at the back).
Re: Prusa Variant
February 12, 2015 10:46PM
Hi,
What follows is my subjective and biased opinion. That said, the best Prusa i3 variant out there is one you have not mentioned: the P3Steel. It is simpler and much faster to assemble and the steel frame is incredibly rigid.
Although the laser-cut steel frame is slightly more expensive than wood or aluminum frames, you save on plastic parts (fewer printed parts are needed) and most importantly it just performs better over time than all the other variants.
BTW I believe I created a page in the wiki for exactly that purpose: to list the various Prusa i3 variants. I have refrained from making direct comparisons between the Prusa i3 variants because their respective developers have worked hard at achieving certain objectives and I respect that. The P3Steel was designed basically to simplify the assembly and to get a stable, rigid Cartesian platform for 3D printing, and in that sense, it is quite an achievement.
The original Prusa i3 with a wood frame was basically designed so that off-the-shelf parts, available at any hardware store, could be used, and again, it is an incredible achievement.
Different design objectives lead to different designs and different Prusa i3 variants. If you understand what you need you will be able to choose the Prusa i3 variant to build that best suits you.
Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login