Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final/closing layers issue

Posted by Bratan 
Final/closing layers issue
January 22, 2015 05:52PM
I have a strange problem with my Prusa i3 rework. It prints good all layers except for 3rd before last. It's layer that start closing infill. It starts laying broken threads which stick up like a bunch of needles (looks like a Bryce canyon). I'm printing with white ABS and some of these "peaks" look brownish, like they burned, however I have pretty low temperature for my filament (220-225C).
2nd to last and last layers finally print ok, but because of the peaks under it I have some openings in final layer.
I'm really stomped, why this could be happening, on that specific 3rd to last layer...
I'm using Slic3r 1.1.7 and Repetier Host V1.0.6.
I tried taking picture of the "peaks" but printer was moving too fast for my camera to focus...
Re: Final/closing layers issue
January 26, 2015 07:21PM
Are you using lift? This combined with low retraction may cause peaks. The head passing back over the peaks would overheat and brown the filament.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
January 26, 2015 08:40PM
3dkarma
Are you using lift? This combined with low retraction may cause peaks. The head passing back over the peaks would overheat and brown the filament.
What's a lift? smiling smiley
January 27, 2015 03:01AM
In Slic3r, go to "Printer Settings", then "Extruder 1." "Lift Z" is in the Retraction section. Play with your retraction length settings to see what effect they have on your problem.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
January 27, 2015 10:09AM
Looks like Lift is not enabled...

Lift Z is 0mm
Length: 1mm
Speed: 30mm/s
Extra length on restart:0
Minumum travel: 2mm
Retract on layer change: (checked)
White wile retracting: (not checked)
January 27, 2015 12:13PM
Try increasing retraction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login