Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing Parts for Mendel

Posted by Razzi 
Sourcing Parts for Mendel
January 06, 2015 02:27PM
I'm looking to build my own RepRap and i've seen the kits on ebay that include all the rods you need however i'd like to source everything my self and try to beat the kit Prices. The part i'm confused on is what kind of Rods to get.

The threaded doesn't seem hard to find in M8-1.25x1m something like this is what I'd need Threaded Rod, Zinc, M8 x 1.25mmx1m

However i'm having trouble finding what kind of Smooth Rod. Seems everything for a solid rod is called Drill Rod. According to Mendel materials procurement
Bar
All bar is ø 8 mm diameter. Generally you can survive just fine on “Bright Zinc Plated" (BZP). BZP is better than Bright Mild Steel (BMS) as BMS will rust unless coated with oil. A2 steel will feel nicer and be straighter, but is more expensive. Aluminium is not recommended because it will bow, and wear easily as the bearings pass over it. It is much easier to cut, however. It is best to buy in 1m lengths and then cut to size.

It talks abot BZP and not using BMS as it'll rust if not coated with Oil. It also talks about A2 steel (Stainless Steel) however it is more expensive. Everything I look for on Drill Rod is one of the following
  • Multipurpose O1 Tool Steel (Oil Hardened)
  • Wear-Resistant A2 Tool Steel
  • Ultra Wear-Resistant D2 Tool Steel
  • Ultra-Machinable W1 Tool Steal (Water Hardened)
  • High-Speed M2 Tool Steal
  • Ultra-Hard High-Speed M42 Tool Steal

I did find 8mm x 1 meter Precision Chromed Rod but for that price I think i'd rather go with A2 Steel.

Then there was talk on Materials#Metals of using Carbon fiber but no one talked about how well it worked.
Carbon Fiber
Carbon fiber rods and tubes in ~8mm diamater are available at mcmaster carr. They would be much lighter than steel and can be machined to similar tolerances. Steel will last longer, we must assume, but would CF Rods last long enough i.e. the life of the machine? They are cheaper as well. if true 8mm can be found in high tollernace, it would be a good experiment to try replacing the non-threaded rods with CF rod or tubing.
McMaster Carr also has Hith temp CF, which might be useful in an extruder. presumably would not transmit heat like metals, but be easier to work than glass or ceramic, yet sturdier than PTFE.
-4/6/2012- Also, carbon fiber is said to be much stiffer than metal rod. If so, it could be an improvement to the smooth rod, especially for the purpose of a wider Y axis. I'll try this out ASAP.

However Carbon Fiber is about the same price as A2
http://dragonplate.com/ecart/product.asp?pID=4537&cID=18
https://goodwinds.com/20076.html

or with Carbon Fiber could I use Tube's instead of Rods
https://goodwinds.com/20015.html

So my question to everyone who's built one is what did you use and source it from? One issue i'm finding a lot of being from the USA is finding everything in Metric I know I could just use 5/16" but i'd like to build everything to Spec.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2015 02:31PM by Razzi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login