Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

change extruder (stat parts do I need? )

Posted by foesky 
change extruder (stat parts do I need? )
December 16, 2014 12:46AM
Hello everyone.

I received a 3d printer diy kit from my boyfriend a while ago that he purchased at DX.com
Here is a URL to the printer I have, I shortened the URL with goo.gl
heacent prusa mendel diy kit

When I received the package I noticed that some parts were broken and one of those parts were for the K-extruder that is used on this printer.

I have never before worked with any 3d printer but I figured I could remake the part so I took one of our cutting boards from the kitchen as it had pretty much the same thickness as original part and I cut out a new part and installed it. It actually works but I don't know if it is my homemade part or just the extruder that is bad from start but I can't seem to get any good extrusion. Sometimes it works sometimes it just can't extrude the wire properly.

I have read alot on this forum and others and Wade extruder seem to be very popular so I would like to change from the K-extruder to wades but I'm not sure if I can

And if I can what exactly do I need to buy to change from K to Wade?

I found a website that sells some full wades extruder kit for 105usd and it seems like that one has everything needed but why I am asking is because I want to be sure what I need to buy before spending any money.
Wades extruder kit (makergeeks.com)

Do I need to switch everything by purchasing something like the kit from makergeeks or can I possibly just change some parts like something similar to this parts package?
wades extruder reloaded (makergeeks.com)

Also if I need to change the whole printing part do you guys have any suggestions on what j should upgrade to? I would really like to print in 1.75mm abs instead because I already have 10x 1kg rolls of 1.75mm abs in different colors that I use on my 3D penpen

Also I believe that my printer is a version of prusa i2 but I am not sure and if so I can't find any web shop that has my model to choose from when buying extruders like the wade. Where I can choose from prusa i3 and others.

Here is a picture of my current extruder with my homemade part
my extruder (imgur)

I am living in Sweden if that matters on what webahop you suggest that I buy from since some USA stores don't send outside the US. (I prefer not to buy from within Sweden because of high prices)

This was written from my mobile and my native language is not English so I say sorry if above text is hard to understand or read.

Many hugs
~Sarah~
Re: change extruder (stat parts do I need? )
December 23, 2014 07:56PM
You definitely have an i2. Nice work on the replacement part. I had the same extruder and the same part failed. Your extruder can have issues with not having enough torque to push filament through.

The Wade should work with your existing hot end and the gears will improve torque and the ability to push filament through, although be aware that the hot end may be the cause of your printing problems. You might want to consider upgrading to an all-metal hot end, such as the E3D v6.

The mounting holes on a standard Greg's Wade are 50mm apart, and I believe the mounting holes on your X carriage are also 50mm apart, so your new extruder should just bolt on, but it's worthwhile asking whoever you buy from to confirm, and measuring yours.

You will lose some print height as your extruder will be taller.

I'm not specifically aware of any good shops in Europe that will sell the Greg's Wade Reloaded kit.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
December 23, 2014 08:25PM
Thank u for tour reply much appreciated smiling smiley

Thank u for the compliment in extruder part. I have gotten it to work perfectly now, I murdered a hole sampler for its precious springs to tighten the filament wire.

I will create the parts for wades extruder I'm just gonna install a second fan on the other side of the first one as my prints show some differences due to heat on that side after print.

Anyways after I got the extruder to work its like my shitty printer become the Nr #1 printer in the world smiling smiley

Do you know any place where they sell bed glasses for i2?
I would appreciate if you could write any pages selling good parts please write them . smiling smiley
Thank u for the tips my good sir

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 08:28PM by foesky.
December 27, 2014 06:03PM
Borosilicate glass is recommended for the heated bed as it can withstand repeated heating / cooling cycles much better than ordinary glass. That being said, many people swear by ordinary glass they source from picture frame makers, who are generally more than happy to cut a few pieces for you. Glass for the i2 and i3 are the same size, so you can use one that's made for the i3.

I had problems sourcing borosilicate locally, so have started importing and stocking them, but shipping to Sweden really pushes the prices up to where it's not economical. You might have some luck with ebay - do a search for borosilicate bed on your local ebay and see what pops up. You could start with ordinary glass and see how you get on, but please be careful as it's not safety glass and can shatter.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
January 07, 2015 08:29AM
I do not know if your size of the print bed is the same as mine but I print on a mirror from IKEA (Sörli @ 49 kr / 4st, 20cm x 20cm, rounded corners.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 08:40AM by Ploks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login