Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis mounting position?

Posted by windcalmer 
Y axis mounting position?
December 06, 2014 11:03PM
I have just started my prusa i3 build. I have my box frame built and the y axis finished. However after placing the y axis on the frame I am worried I might not be able to print on the back 30 mm of the printed. Is there a right or a wrong position for the y axis fore or aft? Or is it a "put it where you can reach everything" kinda thing? Because right now in order to get every last mm of printable area the stepper is almost touching the bottom of the box frame.

See attached image.

//Edit// Attached three other pics to better illustrate my problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 05:53PM by windcalmer.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG3258.jpg (99.9 KB)
open | download - 1.jpg (140.8 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (129.7 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (104 KB)
Re: Y axis mounting position?
December 07, 2014 04:00PM
Instead of starting a whole new topic I am just going to ask one more question here.

Ended up dremeling out a section so the rear bolt would fit and using locktite to secure the nut.

I am working on getting the x axis together. I am using a wade's extruder and the hobbed bolt is hitting the x carriage. I am having to mount the x carriage upside down just to get it to fit right, an even then the hobbed bolt is in the way. Am I missing something or is this normal. From every build I have read this is not a common thing. I am wondering if I either the x carriage or the extruder is the wrong one?!?!

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 09:18PM by windcalmer.
December 09, 2014 01:45PM
After much research I'm wondering if I move the Y carriage 20 millimeters to the front and adjust the bearing mounts 10 millimeters to the rear will that give me enough room to reach the entire print bed. Also will that be stable enough to print on?
December 10, 2014 11:18PM
So I decided to go ahead move the y mounting back about 40mm. It looks as though it worked. The y axis stepper is touching the fram, however that should be a quick fix. I plan on taking a small section out of the frame with a router. Hopefully this works well enough. If not it will be back to the drawing board i guess.

Attached pics of the y carriage after moving the bearing mounts back 40mm. I think the extruder should be able to reach the whole print bed now.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG3292.jpg (350.2 KB)
open | download - IMAG3293.jpg (323.4 KB)
open | download - IMAG3294.jpg (299.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login