Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3x computer to printer communication problem

Posted by jam1231 
Prusa i3x computer to printer communication problem
November 15, 2014 05:37PM
Hello,

I recently finished building my Prusa I3x kit I bought from DIYtechshop. I finished all the wiring, hooked it up to my computer, and flashed Marlin. My computer/pronterface recognizes the printer but when i send commands, nothing happens. I tried using Sprinter instead but same issue. No errors, just nothing happens. I think there is something wrong in the communication between RAMPs board and the arduino but I'm not sure. I also tried using Repetier-Host but again nothing happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Prusa i3x computer to printer communication problem
November 18, 2014 02:01AM
Is your configuration.h in Marlin setup right? type off motherboard, endstops, etc.

See [reprap.org]
November 18, 2014 12:33PM
Thank you for the reply!

Yes configuration.h is there. I tried modifying the header a couple different ways based on some things I found online but nothing helped. I have a RAMPS 1.4 and an arduino mega 2560. I'm not very experienced with arduinos, but it seems that the firmware has been successfully put on (flashing green light) and Repetier-Host says its running Marlin.

I looked through the reprap page but nothing seems to help. I don't think any commands are going through the RAMPS board. No temp sensors, motor commands, or heaters respond to any commands.
November 19, 2014 04:55PM
The Arduino is probably fine. I would concentrate on debugging the RAMPS connections:

1. Check your power supply first by connecting the heated build plate directly to the power supply (> 11 amp line). If the power supply is legit, I assume the build plate would heat up.
2. A separate power line (>5 amp) is needed to power the extruder/motors. This should be a 12V line.
3. The wiki mentions this: "The trimpot on the stepper drivers controls the current limit. Turn it all the way down (counter clock wise) and back up 25%. Be careful to not force the trimpot, it is delicate." I assume it's talking about the tiny white screws on the Pololu boards.
4. The wiki also has this test code you should try. Upload it to the Arduino instead of the firmware code. [reprap.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 04:57PM by verticalData.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login