Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Prusa i3 kit would you recommend?

Posted by Stigern 
Which Prusa i3 kit would you recommend?
October 28, 2014 07:18AM
I own a Flashforge Creator Pro, but I want to have a second printer, and the Prusa has really caught my attention.

I've been looking at the kit from Makerfarm.com, the 8" and the 10" version. And this one from Replikeo [www.replikeo.com]

I just want someone to help me make a decision on which kit to get, the replikeo is very cheap, and I fear that the price is reflected in the quality of the product.

It's basically the 8 or the 10 inch version on makerfarm I'm stuck between now. I'm worried that the 10" version are more prone to vibrations etc since it's got a larger build area?
Also I'm having a hard time finding a glass plate for a 10" bed, so might be safer to go for the 8" version?

Any pointers?

Other kits are very welcome!
Re: Which Prusa i3 kit would you recommend?
October 28, 2014 07:49AM
I have the MakerFarm 8 inch, only because I got it before the 10 inch was available. Finding glass shouldn't be a problem, if you have a hardware store nearby that will cut glass for you.

I don't know about vibrations on the 10 inch, but I think the aluminum extrusions are pretty stiff and don't vibrate on my 8 inch. I don't see how 2 more inches would be a problem.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
October 28, 2014 09:48AM
AbuMaia
I have the MakerFarm 8 inch, only because I got it before the 10 inch was available. Finding glass shouldn't be a problem, if you have a hardware store nearby that will cut glass for you.

I don't know about vibrations on the 10 inch, but I think the aluminum extrusions are pretty stiff and don't vibrate on my 8 inch. I don't see how 2 more inches would be a problem.

Well, my local hardware store which specializes in glass gave me a quote for two pieces of Borosilicate glass for my Flashforge, around 90$ a piece.
The glass itself wasn't so expensive, but the cutting process was expensive since I ordered so few, but I found some china sellers who could cut to 10 inches size.

Are you satisfied with your Prusa? had any issues etc?
October 28, 2014 09:55AM
Another Makerfarm user here!
October 29, 2014 01:08AM
I went for the 10" Prusa i3 from makerfarm smiling smiley
October 29, 2014 11:39AM
The new one with the rails instead of rods is much better IMO.
I have the rods and when my Y axis moves it makes a horrible rattling sound.

Guy at work got the new version and its butter smooth and quiet to boot.
October 29, 2014 01:50PM
I found out about the openbuild v slots a few weeks ago(a little late to the party) and thought that would be the perfect upgrade to a prusa, I am glad to see that someone else agreed. They need to have a 10" premium with acme screws instead of belts and the leadscrews they currently use.

As for glass I have found that no home depot or lowes, at least in California due to safety and insurance reasons, does glass anymore. During my search for borosilicate glass I found that most people answering the phones at glass stores don't know what that is but if you say fireplace glass they instantly know what it is. Since it was 90 bucks for a 8x8 square I decided to go with tempered instead at $15 for the same size and have had no issues yet.
October 29, 2014 03:30PM
Wow California sucks!
I went to my local Lowes here in FL and they had glass and cut it too for about $1.50 a sheet. 1.5mm thick.
October 30, 2014 09:54AM
So, I sent this drawing to make me a glass piece for my Prusa i3 10"

[www.stigern.net]

Does it look ok? The thing I'm most worried is that the corners won't fit. But I hope 8mm is enough space for the screw heads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login