Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i2 x carriage better than i3?

Posted by rolohaun 
Prusa i2 x carriage better than i3?
October 20, 2014 02:11PM
I am currently gathering parts to build my second 3D printer. This will be my first reprap as my other printer is a Replicator 2. Am I the only one who wants to build a Prusa i3 printer with a i2 X carriage? I find the i2 a much better design having the smooth rods laid out horizontal and the carriage lay flat. Is it even possible to have a i3 with a i2 carriage?
Re: Prusa i2 x carriage better than i3?
October 20, 2014 08:01PM
With the i3 X carriage being carried vertically, you avoid having to worry about the X carriage running into the frame on either end, as it's carried in front of the frame, not within it.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
October 23, 2014 11:11AM
I am going to design my own X ends and see if I can make a Prusa i2 i3 Hybrid. My plan is to build this with nylon bushings, 24v and rambo 1.1. I want a quiet printer that heats up fast.
October 23, 2014 04:30PM
I agree, I've been planning on doing a horizontal version for my i3 but haven't got around to it yet.
October 23, 2014 04:50PM
I am gathering parts right now, still have a bunch of parts needed:

Need:
- Stepper Motors
- MK2b Heated Bed
- Rambo 1.1
- Smooth and Threaded Rods + Bolts and Nuts
- E3D V6 Hotend
- 24V Power Supply

I have:
- Laser Cut Prusa i3 Frame
- Belts and Pulleys
- Gregs i2 Extruder

I will be buying my rods and hardware next so I can at least build the frame and have everything ready. I am going to print out the i2 x carriage on my rep 2 along with all of the other parts. The x ends should not be difficult to design and I may even be able to modify an existing i2 carriage. I will post my x end design on thingiverse once complete.
October 23, 2014 05:37PM
Can someone explain why horizontal is better? I don't see it.
October 23, 2014 06:00PM
I am no engineer but it looks to me it distributes the weight on the smooth rods better, rather than hanging off the rods. The i3 x carriage pulls on the top smooth rod and pushes on the bottom one, just seem unnecessary when you could just have it sit on horizontal rods. It's just something I think makes more sense and what I would like to have on my i3
October 23, 2014 08:52PM
If we consider the carriage as a beam then vertical alignment (i3) will flex less to bending forces. It's true that there the torsional force is greater in the vertical alignment. Another advantage with the I3, I think, is that the belt is aligned with the rods and bearings. For the I2, the belt (and force) is offset from the rods. I wonder if anyone did an analysis to determine if these factors are significant.
October 29, 2014 10:58AM
hi
why not go for the mk3 aluminium heat bed, flip it over and print directly on it " using a bit kapton tape for PLA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 11:14AM by jinx.
November 03, 2014 11:41AM
MK3 is tempting but I plan on printing Nylon, T-Glass and Tritan filament so glass would be better
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login