Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax 2 vs Rostock Max V2

Posted by EmailGuy 
MendelMax 2 vs Rostock Max V2
October 14, 2014 07:06PM
I'm thinking of building another 3D printer to print larger items and add the capability of printing ABS. My current Mendel cannot print ABS (needs new heated bed and electronics to go above 60C).

The MendelMax 2 looks really nice. For printing ABS they recommend the all metal E3D hotend. Does that hotend also work well for PLA? I have heard rumors that it doesn't work as well as the j-Head style for PLA. I'd like the printer to do both.

I stumbled across the Rostock Delta style printer. I don't know much about them. The design seems simple, but people seem to have a lot of issues with them not printing flat. It appears the software has to move the print head up and down to compensate for the shorter diagonal as it moves away from the center. It seems this design introduces a lot of new variables.

If anyone has experience with either of these types of printers, please post it here.

3D Printer: Reprap Original Mendel with RAMPS 1.4 electronics, j-head MK V-BV 0.4MM extruder, Wade's geared extruder, setup for 1.75MM filament
Re: MendelMax 2 vs Rostock Max V2
October 28, 2014 10:42PM
both printers need upgrades to need them to function properly.. the mendelmax suffers from z banding and needs a floating z axis upgrade to make good prints. The rostock suffers from bad u-joints which nned to be changed to a magnetic joint or a trarrax joint.

The rostock with a upgrade will make far better prints than the mendel max any day.Even without a upgrade it is still better than a mendelmax
Re: MendelMax 2 vs Rostock Max V2
November 14, 2014 08:25AM
the mendelmax suffers from z banding and needs a floating z axis upgrade to make good prints

if you set your steps and layerhight correct the mendelmax 2.5 prints very good without any z-step artifacts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login