Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Samuel - A variation on the Mendel

Posted by silpstream 
Re: RepRap Samuel - A variation on the Mendel
September 12, 2017 05:10PM
here it is. the spool holder is just a few pieces of irrigation tubing and elbows I had sitting nearby for a temporary solution, though it's working really well so who knows. I used the same wades extruder I used on my larger one since I had a wades on the mendel the parts were already there.

My first benchy is pretty ugly but considering it worked straight away I'm not complaining.

September 13, 2017 03:07AM
@mcmasterp, Looks great! You're even using the melzi on this one. I do like that spool holder. Does it create extra wobbling being mounted up there on top?
September 18, 2017 05:57PM
well I haven't used it too much yet but the tubing is thin and its just stuck down on two 8mm nuts so its not firm, that seems to help it not add wobble
September 20, 2017 08:52PM
Hey Im trying to hook up an lcd to the Melzi but I realize I need to update the Marlin firmware to enable it. Any ideas on how to update it? I'm not sure if I can use latest Marlin 1.1.5 on my Melzi 1.0 board. Also I couldn't find a Melzi or sanguino board in arduino idea boards manager. I know it's a long shot to ask but I figure I'd try
September 21, 2017 02:29PM
Take a look for ramps 1.4 assembly guide It might help
September 21, 2017 02:30PM
anyone have experience using direct drive extruder with 3mm pla?

does the average stepper have enough torque to push the filament thru
with out some gearing?
September 21, 2017 05:58PM
@mcmasterp, running marlin 1.1.5 should not be an issue. I checked the boards.h file and you will find it defined as:
#define BOARD_MELZI             63   // Melzi
#define BOARD_MELZI_MAKR3D      66   // Melzi with ATmega1284 (MaKr3d version)
Check the processor on your board to see if it is the ATmega644 or ATmega1284.

Adding a LCD can be done, but the limitation is based on the processor you have. I have the ATmega1284 and it all just fits. You'll also need to figure out the correct pins to connect from the expansion header to the LCD (I can help with that if you know which LCD you will be using).

As for adding the board to the Arduino IDE, just go to boards manager and search for "sanguino". It will pop up and you just need to click on install.

I've also included a pic of the LCD that I hooked up for mine.

@bigkahuna, I run 3mm ABS on my direct drive extruder with no problems. Not sure if this helps you though cause I've not used PLA on it before.
September 21, 2017 07:08PM
ah ok. I see now you have to add the repository for the sanguino in the ide preferences before it shows up in boards manager. my melzi is 1.0 ardentissimo but surprisingly it has the 1284p chip which is nice. Im planning on using a .96" oled which is i2c, It should be supported in marlin as the sd1306. I have it wired up to vcc,gnd, scl, sda so I think all thats left is to alter marlin to use it and flash. Im hoping it doesn't screw anything up but we'll see. thanks for the info!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login