Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad Experience: MakerGeeks Prusa i3 DIY kit problem

Posted by csamsi 
Bad Experience: MakerGeeks Prusa i3 DIY kit problem
September 15, 2014 11:08PM
I’m really disappointed with MakerGeeks Prusa i3 3D printer kit. I purchased expecting a quality made in USA product. Joshua indicated it takes 2 weeks to print the kit, but boy that must just have been the shipment time from China.

If all they did was print the yellow plastic parts, and imported the rest from China, I would have just purchased it from eBay. It's faster actually, usually 1 week shipping.

I was suspicious that printing would take 2 weeks, that coincides with time to ship something from China to the US. They probably don't have any stock or manufacturing.

Critical problems:
  • From the very poor packaging and tools they look to be made in China.
  • It doesn't come with a manual. Not even a link to downloadable. How am I supposed to assemble it?
  • I also ordered the Brainbox, it's really useless as it doesn't come with a top, bottom, or screws for them. I guess I'll have to print the top and bottom (not, because the printer only does 20cm x 20cm).
  • Oh, and there are NO ELECTRONICS, NO SOFTWARE provided

Note that DIYTech sells the Prusa i3 kit for $400.- [diytechshop.com]. For the price of MakerGeeks Prusa i3 printer + $200 I could have purchased DIYTech 12 x 12 3D printer kit. Which I eventually will as I need one with a large bed. I had been thinking of extending the MakerGeeks Prusa i3 kit.

I'm not happy at all. I am off to assembling this using a manual I Googled. I'm sure I will have problems assembling, testing, and printing with it. Ugh ...

These are really really really chintzy screw drivers, I would not consider these as "Precision" quality.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 05:10PM by csamsi.
Re: Bad Experience: MakerGeeks Prusa i3 DIY kit problem
September 15, 2014 11:46PM
Because MakerGeeks does not include a manual, I am following the RepRap manual http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Build_Manual

Already have problems:
1. Missing z-axis-top.scad
2. Modified z-axis-bottom.scad (I recognized it by the holes)
3. Missing y-motor.scad
4. Modified y-idler.scad (not sure it is even this part as the holes are rounded rectangular holes)
5. y-corners.scad (M10 x 1 M8 x 2 holes)
6. Modified x-end-motor.scad
7. Modified x-end-idler.scad (has no holes on one side)
8. Missing x-carriage.scad
9. Missing magnetic-holder.scad (used for hall effect sensors / endstops)
10. Missing fan-mount.scad
11. Missing belt-guide.scad (suit 623 bearing)
12. Missing entire extruder parts
13. No gears???
14. Many parts left over with no clue what they are for

Best of all:
MISSING ELECTRONICS
MISSING SOFTWARE

MakerGeeks Prusa i3 kit is definitely NOT a true RepRap design!

Quality Control??? Forget it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 03:35AM by csamsi.
September 16, 2014 12:08AM
I posted a review on their page, and sent Joshua mail.

The review is moderated. No response from Joshua.

I'll give him 48 hours, then credit card claim it goes.
September 16, 2014 12:56AM
I also found their Returns are Refunded as Store Credit: [www.makergeeks.com]

Mine would be fulfillment claim with VISA, goods not delivered as expected.

I have bolded and italicized critical information before you decide to purchase anything from MakerGeeks.

>>

Return Policy and Procedures

Once we receive your return we'll have a store credit issued for you within 48 hours.

Your store credit will not include associated handling or shipping charges previously paid. In some situations, a 25% restocking fee may be charged.

It gets really fun here: "have not been removed from it's bubble or shrink wrapping", "or removed from their original packaging", really???

>>

3D Printer & Electronic Returns: All refunds/ returns must be processed within 14 days of the sale date. All 3D printer returns must be authorized by MakerGeeks.com before sending the unit back... a full refund will be issued for a return in which the printer is in "NEW" and re-sellable condition: "NEW" and re-sellable condition means that the device has never been assembled, powered up, programmed, or otherwise changed - also the item must come in it's original packaging and have not been removed from it's bubble or shrink wrapping. No refunds will be issued for any reason on 3D Printers & Electronics that have been powered up, assembled or removed from their original packaging. The good news is that we offer support on all the 3D Printers and Electronics that we sell for the life of the unit so we'll be able to help get you printing and enjoying your new machine for years and years to come. We use the printers we sell right here in the shop everyday and with over 10,000+ hours on them we know how to get them working and printing day in and day out, without exception...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 01:31AM by csamsi.
September 16, 2014 05:28AM
Hello Ceaser, I apologize we have those instructions on a PDF for you and if you are missing the electronics let me know and I can have them rushed out - however by the sound of your email I would guess you would rather just have a refund. Please send back all that and we'll have a full refund issued for you right away. Also the reason we haven't responded yet to your email (your first and only email) is because you emailed at 8pm so I wasn't in the office. It would have been nice to be able to work this out and help you get your printer up and running before airing it out in a public forum.

I do apologize you weren't pleased, it's really such a great kit and we sure do have a lot of guys that worked with us and got it up and running and have a wonderful printer to enjoy. Thanks again and let me know once that's on the way back with a tracking number so we can be on the lookout for it.

The reviews on the site are with a 3rd party company so, PowerReviews so it takes about 1-2 weeks for them to post to our site.

Have a great big blessed morning sir,

Joshua b Smith
Owner - MakerGeeks
September 16, 2014 06:05AM
On Sep 16, 2014, at 4:24 AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 08:01AM by MakerGeeks.
September 16, 2014 06:06AM
On Sep 16, 2014, at 4:24 AM
Begin forwarded message:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 08:00AM by MakerGeeks.
September 16, 2014 05:17PM
Joshua and I came to an agreement to return the kit with refund to my credit card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login