Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea: signal LED while printing / stand-by

Posted by tniercke 
Idea: signal LED while printing / stand-by
September 13, 2014 05:22PM
Hi Folks,

I just got my Mendel up and running and freshly registered here.

Now I have an idea to mount a green and a yellow LED with the following function:
- green off, yellow off = printer off
- green on, yellow off = printer standby
- green off, yellow blinking or flashing = printer is printing :-)
- green on, yellow on = finished printing

in addition it would be nice to have an extra output pin to switch on some white LEDs (12V preferred) illuminating the heatbed right under the nozzle while printing.

I noticed some setting LED_PIN in the firmware but according to the file leds.h it is disabled by default (LED_PIN = -1).
Maybe that is indented for such a signaling LED ?
Can it be enabled without flashing a new firmware?

Has anyone modified the firmware (I use a reprappro mono mendel) to get this or similar to work so far ?

I just wonder where to modify the firmware.. I do not want to brick my new 3D-printer ;-)

Greets
Thomas
Re: Idea: signal LED while printing / stand-by
September 13, 2014 07:06PM
Im running the discount graphic lcd on my mendel i2 and it gives all the info you need.
Including current temperatures, target temperaturesand fan speed.
You get a status message at the bottom of the screen.
With messages like bed heating, printing as well as fault conditions if the temp sensors arnt working.
As well as printing from sd card with a menu of files on the card.
You can even tweak settings on the fly to adjust print speed, temeratures and a whole load of other parameters.
Well worth the tenner or so they cost now.

Gordon
September 13, 2014 08:09PM
tniercke
it would be nice to have an extra output pin to switch on some white LEDs (12V preferred) illuminating the heatbed right under the nozzle while printing.

You don't need an output pin for that, just a switch and run the LED wires direct to the power supply. There will be some non-printing times you'll want them on.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
September 14, 2014 08:25AM
@gordonendersby

Thanks for your info.

But that is not quite what I asked for. Maybe I was not clear enough...
I am using my Reprap with a PI and can print via the network from CAD stations all over the area.

I want a warning light for unattended printing, so anyone near the printer will be significantly warned when there is a print (e.g. moving axes) in progress so they stay away from the printer.

Greets
Thomas
September 14, 2014 08:27AM
@AbuMaia

Thanks for the tip.
That is my current solution.

As I wrote before, it is for unattended printing over the network using a PI as Host-Controller.
So I would like to control the light directly via the arduino on the printer's PCB.

Greetings
Thomas
October 05, 2014 04:35PM
What im using is a small 5v adruino relay, wired to one of the servo pins to switch my powersupply on and off over the octopi. So i simply type "M42 P4 S255" in terminal and this makes my printer turn on.

Greetings from switzerland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 10:33AM by Repraph.
October 08, 2014 04:42PM
Common method on industrial cnc machines and other automated lines to have a light tower on top that indicates the current state.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login