Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3x Stepper Driver Connection confusion

Posted by erikn 
i3x Stepper Driver Connection confusion
September 05, 2014 11:16PM
I'm working on building my i3x from DIYTS and just started the wiring process. My steppers have 4 wires which after doing some research I realized I was lucky not to get the 6 wired kind and have to figure out which four to use. I later found the data sheet from the manufacture and figured out which pairs of wires make up each coil. The manual for the build shows no stepper driver except one that merges the two z axis steppers. The thing is that the driver in the manual does not have the same number of pins as mine. Plus I got four drivers and I'm pretty sure I need all four for X,Y,Z, and the extruder. The manual just shows the steppers going right into the RAMPS. The eight pins read as follows, DIRECTION, STEP, SLEEP, RESET, MS1, MS2, MS3, ENABLE, GND, VDC, 1E, 1A, 2A, 2E, GND, VMOT. Im not exactly sure which one of these connects to the RAMPS and which one connects to the steppers. Very confused about this.

Thanks for you time!
Re: i3x Stepper Driver Connection confusion
September 05, 2014 11:57PM
Check out the RAMPS docs at [reprap.org] and specifically this drawing [reprap.org] for the wiring diagram.

The motors connect to the appropriate pins on the RAMPS board. They do not connect directly to the driver board. The driver boards are connected to the RAMPS only, matching up the pin designations between the driver board and the RAMPS. There are 8 pins on the driver board and 8 sockets that correspond to those pins on the RAMPS. The motors plug into the 4 pin connectors next to the driver board sockets. You will use all four stepper driver boards in the appropriate places on the RAMPS, X,Y,Z and E. Before you install the driver boards to the RAMPS make sure you install the micro step jumpers as listed in the RAMPS doc.
September 06, 2014 12:46AM
Thanks so much,
I'm realizing now I was so confused about the whole thing but now it makes more sense. This news is good because plugging the drivers into the RAMPS is so much easier than wiring them up between the steppers and the board. Thanks for the document links and the clarification.
September 07, 2014 11:47PM
Make sure to install your jumpers first.

No one ever mentions that.

They go under the driver.
September 08, 2014 12:29AM
I was fiddling around with the extruder and I noticed that when I spun the extruder stepper the lcd backlight flashed on. Then I went on the move the y axis and again the backlight flashed, finally I tried the x and it did not flash. Is it bad that current from the steppers is somehow flowing back into the lcd backlight power supply?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login