Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12"x12" build plate

Posted by Joe2014 
12"x12" build plate
September 02, 2014 10:10PM
Will the standard prusa i3 setup be able to fit a 12"x12" build plate? If not, will simply extending the rods a little be sufficient? Thanks.
Re: 12"x12" build plate
September 03, 2014 12:24AM
Both the frame and the rods will need to be extended. I've got a 300 x 300 x 300 build envelope i3 Rework prototyped. It looks that building an extrusion based machine will be about the same cost and far more rigid. A better choice for a larger format machine. Basically add 100 mm to every axis and determine the new frame mount points to the Y rods. I haven't done one out of melamine yet as the Y on the laser cutters we use is only 18" so I couldn't accomodate a full 300 mm Z build envelope.

DIY Techshop has a kit that is a similar size.
September 03, 2014 07:31AM
Adding 100mm to every axis shouldn't cost much extra correct? Would the standard 8mm/10mm rods still work okay? This will be my first build. I have looked into the diytechshop kits. Their 12x12 kit was a little more than I'm willing to spend, but the i3xl kit had a 9x12 size. I've only heard a few bad reviews on their kits especially in the printed parts.
September 05, 2014 02:20AM
For a first build I would stick with something that is documented and others have built. The learning curve is pretty steep even for those that are mechanically inclined. If you are on an uncharted build you may not know what is an issue for the design or if you just haven't learned that part of the process yet. What do you plan to print that you want a large build area as a first build?

For printed parts as long as they are strong enough they'll be OK even if they don't look pretty. If they are deformed or delaminate that's another issue but if they just have some visible lines or slight bridging or fill gaps you'll be OK. You can always print replacement parts once you get up and going. In fact it's a good first project.

As for the structure, at this point I'm not sold on using rods on a machine that big particularly since making one the same size from 2020 extrusion is much more sturdy. My rod based i3 machines can run at 80/90mm/s but have a sweet spot of about 60/70mm/s. As a comparison my MM2 machines run comfortably at 120 mm/s and have been able to run faster. That's due to both the extrusion frame and the precision motion components.
September 07, 2014 04:36PM
You cannot simply make the rods longer, they need to be proportionally thicker aswell so for a 300mm build you would be best with 12mm or greater rods.

As far as kits go, some suppliers seem to operate from the viewpoint that they are supplying you with a set of parts and what you do with them is your responsibility. Others must have found a supplier of a wonder drug that allows them to stay awake 24/7 helping their customers.

I fully agree with the comments from vegasloki.

If 10" x 10" is enough for your needs then [www.makerfarm.com] seems like a good deal.

Viewing from the other side of the pond, the MM2 looks good with a large print area and a brick shithouse stability.
September 08, 2014 02:43AM
The only feasible way that I have seen to simply extend rods without making them thicker is to use slotted bearings.

The probem with doing what you want to do is that the bowing/flex of your rod increases exponentially with just a little bit of extra length of thin rod, so you have to somehow figure out how to support the rod without getting in the way of the bearing sliding over it.

The slotted bearing solves this problem nicely. Plus you can print out the housing/pillow block and just purchase the bearing itself, which is cheap.

Im quite surprised that it isnt the community standard, myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login